Quick Hits on UK's Middle Blockers
Aug. 22, 2011
In the days leading up to UK's first match of 2011, UKathletics.com will provide tidbits and a breakdown of UK's players by position.
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Led by the senior duo of Becky Pavan and Gretchen Giesler, Kentucky has an athletic and experienced group of middle blockers. Sophomore Alexandra Morgan has been one of the biggest surprises of preseason action and freshman Kayla Tronick furthers the depth for the Blue and White in 2011.
"Our leadership is great, it's a collective effort," UK coach Craig Skinner said. "These seniors have been through a lot: great wins and tough losses and everything in between so there's not an experience that they haven't had to help lead our team through a lot of different situations."
Gretchen Giesler, Senior
Alexandra Morgan, Sophomore
Becky Pavan, Senior
• UK's leading returner in every offensive category including kills per set with 2.02
• Has appeared in 96 career matches and totaled five or more blocks 28 times
• Struck for 10 or more hammers on 25 occasions, including a career-best 19-kill performance in a win at Arkansas in 2010
• Tallied 1.88 kills per frame and 0.86 blocks per stanza in her junior campaign
• A 2011 preseason All-SEC selection
Kayla Tronick, Freshman