Dec. 7, 2013
Box Score |
Team Records and Notes:
- Michigan State improves to 22-11, while Ohio closes the season 27-6.
- MSU advances to the Lexington Sub-Regional final on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. ET against the winner of match two between top-seeded Kentucky and Duquense.
- Michigan State is 18-5 this season when winning the first set, and now 17-0 when winning the first two sets.
- This was the first time all season that Ohio was swept in a match.
- Michigan State now leads the all-time series with Ohio, 3-0.
- Ohio took a four-point lead of 11-7, before the Spartans responded with a 4-0 run to force an OU timeout at 11-11.
- Michigan State forced an Ohio timeout at 19-15 as MSU won 10 of 15 points to take its largest lead of the set at 20-15.
- The Bobcats responded with a quick 4-0 run to force a Michigan State timeout at 20-19.
- Michigan State closed the set by winning the last three points to take the opening set, 25-21.
- Honorable mention All-Big Ten middle blocker Alexis Mathews led the Spartans with five kills and two blocks.
- The Bobcats’ Katie Horton had a team-high five blocks.
- Michigan State started the second set strong, scoring seven of the first 11 points to race out to a 7-4 lead to start the second frame.
- MSU expanded its lead to a set-high six points at 10-4
- Ohio cut the Spartans’ lead to as little as two points at 16-14, forcing a Michigan State timeout as the Bobcats were on a 5-2 run.
- Facing set points at 24-19, the Bobcats rallied to win four in a row to make the score 24-22 before an Alexis Mathews kill ended the run and gave Michigan State the 25-22 win.
- MSU’s Kori Moster led all players with five digs in each of the first two sets.
- Lauren Wicinski of Michigan State led all players with six kills.
- Through the first 35 points of the set, neither team had more than a two-point lead, until Michigan State broke through at 19-16 to gain a three-point advantage.
- Michigan State closed the set on a 6-3 run to clinch the match in straight sets, 25-19.
- The Spartans hit .314 in the set, while limiting Ohio to just .278
- Lauren Wicinski (MSU) led all players in the match with 16 kills. She hit .371, had nine digs and added two blocks.
- Alexis Matthews (MSU) hit .471 in the match, collecting five block assists and 10 kills.
- Kori Moster (MSU) recorded a match-high 15 digs.
- Abby Gilleland (OU) who was the 2013 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year, had a match-high 35 assists and eight digs.
- Katie Horton (OU) was one of two Ohio Bobcats in double-figures for attacks, as Horton tallied 12 kills alongside eight digs
- Meredith Ashy (OU) led Ohio with 11 digs.