April 9, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. – A hopeful start soon went south for the University of Kentucky women’s tennis team on Friday as the Wildcats are defeated by the Tigers of LSU 6-1 at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex. The Blue and White hold on to a sole singles victory by Christine Johnston (Columbus, Oh.) in the No. 3 singles slot.
The Tigers (15-7, 5-4) barreled through the doubles point, carding wins on all three courts. In the top matchup, sophomore pair Caroline Lilley and Minnette Pienaar was beaten by Keri Frankenberger and Whitney Wolf 8-3. In UK’s best doubles effort of the day, veteran team junior Megan Broderick and senior Christine Johnston could not handle Tiger players Kaitlin Burns and Hannah Robinson (8-4). Lexington natives Elle Coldiron and Nicole Scates were bested by Nicole Kantor and Ebie Wilson 8-2.
Kentucky players, Broderick, Lilley and Johnston, dominated their first sets 6-3, 6-2, and 6-0 for a great start. However, some illness jaded Broderick’s (Tampa, Fla.) game; she let the second and third slate slip away 6-2, 6-2.
Lilley (Portland, Ore.) still looked strong in the second, but Burns netted the set win 6-4. The two were on serve in the third until Burns struck at 3-2 to break the Wildcat and pull ahead 4-2. Burns rattled off three straight games to edge Lilley 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
After Kentucky captain Johnston took set No. 1, she lost a tough second set to Kantor 7-5. Johnston rallied back showing true moxy, as has become her style, and finished out the match 6-0, 7-5, 6-4. The team looks forward to celebrating Johnston’s time as a Wildcat on Sunday for Senior Day.
Pienaar (Graaf Reinet, South Africa) played a close set No. 1, but was edged 7-5 by Frankenberger en route to a straight sets victory for the Tiger 7-5, 6-1.
The Blue and White will host No. 23 Arkansas on Sunday at 11:30 a.m. ET at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for complete coverage of UK women’s tennis.
Kentucky (2-17, 0-9 SEC) 1, LSU (15-7, 5-4 SEC) 6
1. Frankenberger/Wolf (LSU) def. Lilley/Pienaar (UK) 8-3
2. Burns/Robinson (LSU) def. Broderick/Lilley (UF) 8-4
3. Kantor/Wilson (LSU) def. Coldiron/Scates (UK) 8-2
1. Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. No. 98 Megan Broderick (UK) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Caroline Lilley (UK) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Christine Johnston (UK) def. Nicole Kantor (LSU) 6-0, 5-7, 6-4
4. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Minnete Pienaar (UK) 7-5, 6-1
5. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Elle Coldiron (UK) 6-0, 6-1
6. Hannah Robinson (LSU) def. Nicole Scates (UK) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles : 3, 2*, 1 Singles: 6, 5, 4*, 1, 2, 3