April 8, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Freshman Khristina Blajkevitch earned her team-high ninth victory in singles play Friday, but it was not enough for the Kentucky women’s tennis team as the Wildcats fell on the road to No. 17 Arkansas 6-1.
Blajkevitch came out strong in the match at the George M. Billingsley Tennis Center in Fayetteville, Ark., taking the first set 6-3 over the Razorbacks’ Kate Lukomskaya. In a tight second set Lukomskaya came out victorious in a tiebreak 7-6 (7-4). In a third set 10-point super tiebreaker Blajkevitch came out on top 10-8 to take the match.
Blajkevitch, a native of Victoria, Canada, has been on fire for the Cats recently, winning five of her last six singles matches. The freshman leads Kentucky with six wins in Southeastern Conference action.
Unfortunately for Kentucky (4-17, 2-7 SEC), the No. 17 Razorbacks (15-7, 5-4 SEC) earned victories in all the other matches, including each of the three doubles matches.
Kentucky will continue its final road trip of the regular season Sunday when it faces No. 54 LSU in Baton Rouge, La. The Tigers are coming off a 7-0 home loss to No. 21 Vanderbilt. The Wildcats fell to LSU 6-1 last year. In 2011, the Tigers (10-11, 4-5 SEC) have been led by Whitney Wolf. Wolf is the No. 66 singles player in the country. Wolf and Kaitlin Burns are the No. 62 doubles team in the land. LSU split its two matches last weekend, defeating Auburn 5-2 on Friday before falling 7-0 to No. 35 Alabama on Sunday.
Check out UKathletics.com for live results from Kentucky’s match against LSU on Sunday and for all Kentucky women’s tennis news.
George M. Billingsley Tennis Center
April 8, 2011
No. 17 Arkansas 6, Kentucky 1
1) No. 24 Tigu/Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Megan Broderick/Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 8-0
2) Kate Lukomskaya/Stephanie Roy (ARK) def. Marni Venter/Caitlin McGraw (UK) 8-6
3) Jade Frampton/Valentina Starkova (ARK) def. CeCe Witten/Jessica Stiles (UK) 8-3
1) No. 27 Anouk Tigu (ARK) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-3, 6-1
2) Stephanie Roy (ARK) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-1, 2-6, 1-0 (7)
3) Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Kate Lukomskaya (ARK) 6-3, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (8)
4) Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-1, 6-3
5) Emily Carbone (ARK) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-1, 6-0
6) Jade Frampton (ARK) def. Misha Testerman (UK) 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles: 1, 3*, 2
Singles: 6, 5, 4*, 1, 2, 3