April 2, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The No. 2 Florida Gators women's tennis team proved to be too much for the Kentucky Wildcats on Friday afternoon at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center. Kentucky fell to the defending Southeastern Conference champions 7-0.
Florida won each of the doubles matches to take the doubles point and swept the singles matches.
Freshman Khristina Blajkevitch pushed Joanna Mather, the No. 28 ranked singles player in the country, to three sets before falling in a 10-point super tiebreaker 10-4.
Kentucky must turn around quickly, as the Wildcats will face the 38th-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks on Sunday at noon. South Carolina split its SEC matches last weekend, beating Mississippi State 7-0 in Starkville, Miss., while losing at home to No. 29 Ole Miss by a 4-1 score. Junior Anya Morgina extended her winning streak to six matches at No. 1 singles with a straight-set win over No. 27 Kristi Boxx of Ole Miss. Morgina, who is currently ranked No. 39, has beaten three players ranked among the top 30 during the month of March and is the first Gamecock to reach the 20-win plateau in singles this season. South Carolina lost on Friday on the road to Vanderbilt, 4-3.
Kentucky is 4-4 in matches at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex.
For live results of Sunday's match and for all Kentucky women's tennis news go to UKathletics.com.
Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex
April 1, 2011
No. 2 Florida 7, Kentucky 0
1) No. 16 Cercone/Will (UF) def. Broderick/Blajkevitch (UK) 8-5
2) Embree/Mather (UF) def. McGraw/Venter (UK) 8-1
3) Janowicz/Oyen (UF) def. Stiles/Witten (UK) 8-5
1) No. 33 Lauren Embree (UF) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-4, 6-1
2) No. 6 Allie Will (UF) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-3, 6-4
3) No. 93 Sofie Oyen (UF) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-4, 6-3
4) No. 28 Joanna Mather (UF) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-4, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (10-4)
5) No. 47 Alexandra Cercone (UF) def. Marni Venter (UK) 6-0, 6-0
6) No. 41 Olivia Janowicz (UF) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1*, 3
Singles: 1, 2, 3*, 4, 5, 6