Women's Tennis Falls to No. 14 Alabama
March 25, 2012
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team faced No. 14 Alabama for the second of seven 2012 Southeastern Conference matches. While multiple Wildcats put up a fight, Alabama proved their worth, grabbing the 7-0 win in Lexington on Sunday afternoon.
In doubles play, sophomores Marni Venter and Cece Witten provided the strongest performances of the day. The two faced Taylor Lindsey and Yasmine Ebada who provided even competition for the Cats. The two duos played a tight match, earning every point. Ultimately, Lindsey and Ebada were able to pull away and take the win, 8-6.
Coming off of an impressive performance against Auburn, Stephanie Fox provided fierce singles play for the Wildcats. The freshman took on Alex Clay and the two ensued in a battle. Clay narrowly took the first set 7-6, but Fox answered by powering through in the second set. She grabbed the set 6-4, forcing the match into a tiebreaker. Ultimately, Fox continued to fight but could not stop Clay as she won the tiebreaker 10-5, to take the win.
Next, the Wildcats host two SEC foes, No. 7 Georgia and No. 12 Tennessee. The match against Georgia is set for 5 p.m. ET on Friday, with the match against Tennessee following on Sunday at noon ET. Both matches will take place at the Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Complex.
For continuing coverage of UK women’s tennis log on to UKathletics.com.
No. 14 Alabama 7, Kentucky 0
Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Complex
Sunday, March 25, 2012
1) Guarachi/McLane (UA) def. Stiles/Blajkevitch (UK) 8-1
2) Macfarlane/Foehse (UA) def. McGraw/Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 8-0
3) Lindsey/Ebada (UA) def. Venter/Witten (UK) 8-6
1) Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-2, 6-2
2) Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-3, 6-0
3) Courtney McLane (UA) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-1, 6-2
4) Alex Clay (UA) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 7-6, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
5) Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 6-3, 6-4
6) Emily Zabor (UA) def. Marni Venter (UK) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 1 ,3*, 5, 6, 4
Singles: 1, 2*, 3