March 18, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Kentucky women's tennis team opened doubles play with an 8-5 win from sophomore Jessica Stiles and freshman Cece Witten and got another victory from Stiles at No. 2 singles, but fell 6-1 to TCU on the road in Fort Worth, Texas, on Thursday.
Stiles and Witten, who have played together in doubles just once before, topped Maria Babanova and Idunn Hertzberg of TCU 8-5 in doubles to give the Wildcats the early advantage in earning the doubles point. The Horned Frogs had other plans, though, and rallied to win at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles and take the 1-0 lead heading into singles play.
Stiles, a sophomore from Wyckoff, N.J., took down TCU's Olivia Smith at No. 2 singles in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3, to even the overall match at 1-1. Stiles leads the Wildcats with seven victories in singles play this season.
TCU would capture the other five singles matches and take the overall match by a score of 6-1 and improve to 3-6 on the season.
Kentucky (3-12, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) will wrap up the Texas portion of its six-match road trip on Saturday when it faces Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas at 11 a.m. ET.
Check out UKathletics.com for results from Saturday's match and for all Kentucky women's tennis news.
Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center
Fort Worth, Texas
March 17, 2011
TCU 6, Kentucky 1
1) No. 52 Denti/Tuohimaa (TCU) def. Blajkevitch/Broderick (UK) 8-5
2) Mastromarino/Smith (TCU) def. McGraw/Venter (UK) 8-4
3) Stiles/Witten (UK) def. Babanova/Hertzberg (TCU) 8-5
1) Katariina Tuohimaa (TCU) def. No. 112 Megan Broderick (UK) 6-3, 6-0
2) Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Olivia Smith (TCU) 6-0, 6-3
3) Federica Denti (TCU) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-2, 6-1
4) Gaby Mastromarino (TCU) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
5) Idunn Hertzberg (TCU) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6) Shalini Sahoo (TCU) def. Misha Testerman (UK) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish:
Doubles: 3, 1, 2*
Singles: 2, 1, 3, 6*, 4, 5