Feb. 13, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Senior Megan Broderick and freshman Khristina Blajkevitch teamed up for the first time this spring season and took down the No. 13 ranked doubles team in the country. Their win was not enough though, as the Cats fell to No. 53 Purdue (5-1) in West Lafayette, Ind., 5-2.
UK head coach Carlos Drada changed the doubles lineup around Sunday, pairing Broderick with Blajkevitch at No. 1 doubles. The change worked well as Broderick and Blajkevitch took down Purdue’s Jennifer Rabot and Mara Schmidt, 8-4. Broderick typically plays with sophomore Jessica Stiles at No. 1 doubles. Broderick and Blajkevitch have played doubles before. The two played five times during the fall season, recording a 2-3 record in those matches.
Broderick was also victorious in her singles match. Facing Purdue’s Jennifer Rabot, Broderick pulled off the victory in three sets. The Tampa, Fla., native took the first set 6-4 before losing the second set 6-2. In the third, Broderick took control early and didn’t look back, grabbing the set by a score of 6-2.
Sophomore Jessica Stiles picked up her co-team-leading third singles victory of the spring campaign with a straight sets, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Purdue’s Mara Schmidt. Stiles and Broderick each have three singles victories for the Wildcats.
Freshman Cece Witten dropped a tough match to Purdue’s Imogen Golder. After losing the first set 6-4, Witten, a Danville, Ky., native, rebounded to take the second set 6-4 and force a third set 10-point super tiebreaker. Golder got the win in the tiebreak, 10-7.
The Cats (0-6) will take the courts again Saturday, Feb. 19 in a home doubleheader at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex. The Cats will face off against Miami (Ohio) at noon ET and then Eastern Kentucky at 6:00 p.m. Parking structure No. 7 will be open and free to the public.
Check out UKathletics for all Kentucky women’s tennis news.
Schwartz Tennis Center
West Lafayette, Ind.
February 13, 2011
No. 53 Purdue 5, Kentucky 2
1) Broderick/Blajkevitch (UK) def. No. 13 Rabot/Schmidt (PUR) 8-4
2) Pere/Dushkina (PUR) def. Stiles/Witten (UK) 8-4
3) No. 68 Golder/Tirumurti (PUR) def. Testerman/McGraw (UK) 8-3
1) Megan Broderick (UK) def. Jennifer Rabot (PUR) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
2) Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Mara Schmidt (PUR) 6-4, 6-4
3) Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-2, 6-1
4) Anna Dushkina (PUR) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-4, 6-2
5) Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (7)
6) Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Misha Testerman (UK) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles: 1, 3, 2* Singles: 6, 3, 4*, 2, 5, 1