Kentucky Defeats Tulane at ITA Kick-Off
Jan. 24, 2014
DURHAM, N.C. – The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team beat No. 53 Tulane, 4-1 at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kick-Off Weekend, hosted by Duke University in Durham, N.C. on Friday, Jan. 24.
“I am very excited for our ladies today,” Kentucky head coach Carlos Drada said. “I am confident that this is a sign for great things to come if we continue taking care of the details.”
No. 42 Kentucky fell behind early losing the doubles point, but rallied back in singles with junior Kelsey Dieters clinching the match in the No. 3 position to take down the Green Wave. Freshman Aldila Sutjiadi and junior Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff stopped Tulane from sweeping the Wildcats in doubles by defeating Ipek Birol and Sophie Blom, 6-4.
"After losing a tough doubles point, I really felt everyone in singles came out with a vengeance and got the job done," junior Stephanie Fox said. "I also felt those not competing today did a great job of bringing energy to the team."
Fox tallied the first point for the Wildcats winning her singles match in the No. 6 position over Emily Dvorak, 6-1 in both sets. Morin-Kougoucheff and senior Caitlin McGraw added two more points to the board with wins over Blom and Meredith Maltby, respectively, before Dieters capped of the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Jacqui Katz.
“We started our singles with great poise and determination after losing the doubles point,” Drada said. “We won against a mature and talented team today and have put ourselves in a great position for our match against Duke.”
Kentucky will take on No. 10 Duke, Saturday, Jan. 25 at 6 p.m. ET in the ITA Kick-Off championship match. The winner of the match will receive a berth to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships hosted by the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.
Live stats and live video will be provided for the match on www.GoDuke.com.
Tennis Match Results
Tulane Green Wave vs Kentucky
Jan 24, 2014 at Durham, N.C.
(Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center)
#42 Kentucky 4, #53 Tulane Green Wave 1
1. #108 Nadia Ravita (UK) vs. Klara Vyskocilova (TLN) 6-7 (6-8), 2-1, unfinished
2. Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) vs. Ipek Birol (TLN) 6-4, 3-4, unfinished
3. Kelsey Dieters (UK) def. Jacqui Katz (TLN) 6-2, 6-3
4. E. Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) def. Sophie Blom (TLN) 6-1, 6-2
5. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Meredith Maltby (TLN) 6-0, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
6. Stephanie Fox (UK) def. Emily Dvorak (TLN) 6-1, 6-1
1. Klara Vyskocilova/Jacqui Katz (TLN) def. #56 CeCe Witten/Kelsey Dieters (UK) 6-4
2. E. Morin-Kougoucheff/Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. Ipek Birol/Sophie Blom (TLN) 6-4
3. Meredith Maltby/Emily Dvorak (TLN) def. Nadia Ravita/Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-0
Tulane Green Wave 1-1; National ranking #53
Kentucky 3-0; National ranking #42
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,3)