Jan. 22, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team got an impressive day from senior Megan Broderick, who posted an upset victory in singles over the nation’s 51st-best player but fell in its opening dual match of the spring season 5-2 to No. 72 Minnesota in Huntington, W. Va., on Saturday.
Kentucky was led by Broderick who earned a victory for the Cats at the No. 1 singles position against Natallia Pintusava, who is ranked 51st in the nation in the International Tennis Association preseason singles rankings. After dropping the first set 3-6, Broderick won the second set in a tiebreaker 7-6 (4). In the decisive third set, which was shortened to a 10-point super tiebreaker, Broderick rode the momentum she gained in the second set for an 8-4 win and the upset victory.
Kentucky’s only other singles victory came from freshman Caitlin McGraw, who defeated Peta Forsyth 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (9) at the No. 6 singles position. Similar to Broderick’s singles victory, McGraw fell behind early in the match, dropping the first set 4-6 but then found her game in the second set to claim a 7-5 win. In the 10-point super tiebreaker, McGraw and Forsyth went back and forth with McGraw pulling through at the end for an 11-9 victory to claim the match.
In doubles play, Broderick teamed up with sophomore transfer Jessica Stiles to defeat Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen 8-4. The Golden Gophers had won the first two matches in doubles competition however, and took the doubles point.
The win was Minnesota’s first of the season after falling to No. 53 Marshall on Friday 4-3.
The Cats will face Marshall on Sunday at noon to complete the weekend in Huntington.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for results from Sunday’s match against Marshall and all Kentucky women’s tennis news.
Huntington Tennis Club
Huntington, W. Va.
January 22, 2011
No. 72 Minnesota 5, Kentucky 2
1) Megan Broderick/Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Alexa Palen (MINN) 8-4
2) Natallia Pintusava/Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Khristina Blajkevitch/CeCe Witten (UK) 8-4
3) Mariana Spilca/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def Marni Venter/Caitlin McGraw (UK) 8-1
1) Megan Broderick (UK) def. No. 51 Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 3-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-6)
2) Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-2, 6-4
3) Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
4) Yuliana Umanets (MINN) def. Marni Venter (UK) 6-3, 6-2
5) Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. CeCe Witten (UK) 6-1, 6-2
6) Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Peta Forsyth (MINN) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (9)
Order of finish: Doubles: 3, 2*, 1 Singles: 5, 4, 3, 2*, 1, 6