Kentucky-UC Santa Barbara Postgame Notes
Kentucky 66, Santa Barbara 38
Dec. 21, 2012
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 10-1, while Santa Barbara falls to 4-7.
- UK takes a week off for the holiday before returning to action Friday, Dec. 28 against Alcorn State in Memorial Coliseum at 7 p.m. EST.
- Kentucky is in its 39th year of varsity play and owns an overall record of 666-472 (.585).
- Head coach Matthew Mitchell is in his sixth year and ranks third on the all-time wins list (124-57) and first in winning percentage (.685).
- UK is now 60-19 (.759) in regular season, nonconference games under head coach Matthew Mitchell.
- UK extended its winning streak to nine games, which is tied for the sixth-longest streak in school history.
- Nine of UK's 10 wins have been by 18 points or more.
- UK is now 3-0 all-time against UC Santa Barbara.
- Kentucky is now 7-1 all-time against teams from the Big West Conference.
- UK's starting lineup featured A'dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Jennifer O'Neill, Samarie Walker and DeNesha Stallworth for the fourth straight game. The Cats are now 7-0 with that lineup.
- Stallworth scored the first basket of the game at the 18:54 mark.
- Azia Bishop and Bernisha Pinkett were the first subs of the game for UK.
- UK held Santa Barbara to a season-low 38 points (previous low was 39 at BYU, Dec. 18).
- The 38 points allowed marks the third time the Wildcats have held their opponent to 40 points or less this season.
- The Wildcats tied a season high with 19 assists.
- UK held UCSB to 20 points in the first half, the fifth time the Cats have held their opponent to 20 points or less in the opening stanza.
- The Cats forced a season-high five shot-clock violations, all in the first half.
- Kentucky opened the second half on a 12-3 run to extend its lead to 40-23 with 14:43 remaining.
- UK won the turnover battle 28-11 and is 103-27 under Mitchell when committing fewer turnovers than its opponent.
- Kentucky won the turnover battle 17-8 in the first half for the 10th straight game.
- UK committed just three turnovers in the second half.
- The Wildcats hit six 3-pointers and extended their streak of consecutive games with a triple to 303.
- Kentucky forced 28 turnovers and has now forced double-digit miscues in 128 consecutive games.
- The Cats are 95-33 during that span.
- UK has forced 20-plus turnovers in all 11 games this season and in 40 of its last 46 games, dating back to the start of last season.
- Senior guard A'dia Mathies scored a season-high 19 points and tied a season best with four 3-pointers.
- Mathies has reached double figures in nine of 11 games this season.
- Mathies ranks No. 6 on UK's all-time leading scoring list with 1,584 points. She needs just 14 points to tie Pam Browning (1974-78) at No. 5.
- The senior is one steal away from tying Leslie Nichols (278 – 1982-86) for No. 3 on Kentucky's all-time steals charts.
- Junior center DeNesha Stallworth tallied double figures for the ninth time this season with 12 points and seven rebounds.
- She has reached double figures in eight straight contests.
- Junior forward Samarie Walker recorded her sixth career and third double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Bria Goss filled the stat sheet with five points, six rebounds and a season-high three assists.