Kentucky-Middle Tennessee State Postgame Notes
Kentucky 84, Middle Tennessee State 72
Nov. 24, 2013
Box Score |
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improved to 6-0 on the season, giving the Wildcats their first 6-0 start since 2011-12 and third in the Matthew Mitchell era.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is 692-477 (.592) in 40 seasons of varsity basketball.
- Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 150-62 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 180-91 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 150 and winning percentage (.707).
- UK leads the all-time series 12-4 vs. Middle Tennessee and 42-17 vs. opponents from the Conference USA.
- This win snaps a two-game losing skid on the road against MT and marks UK’s first win in Murfreesboro since 1989.
- The Wildcats have now won 16 straight regular season non-conference games.
- Kentucky has won six consecutive regular season non-conference games on the road.
- Today’s attendance was 4,822.
- Next up: UK returns to Memorial Coliseum on Wednesday, Nov. 27, vs. Bradley at Noon ET. The game will be carried on the UK IMG Sports Radio Network with Neil Price.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- The Wildcats are 6-0 this season when using this starting lineup.
- Bria Goss scored the first points of the game for UK with a 3-pointer from the right wing.
- Linnae Harper was the first UK player off the bench at the 16:58 mark in the first half.
- The Wildcats made their first five field goal attempts to begin the game.
- UK was 16-for-28 (57.1%) from the floor led by Evans and Goss who scored 10 points each.
- Kentucky shot 71.4 percent (5-of-7) from beyond the arc, while MTSU was 2-of-6 (33.3 percent).
- The Wildcats forced 13 Middle Tennessee turnovers with five of them steals.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five who started the game.
- The Wildcats led by as many as 17 points in the second half.
- Kentucky used an 11-0 run midway through the half to take a 58-42 lead.
- Azia Bishop grabbed seven of her eight rebounds in the second half.
- The Wildcats hit 33-of-66 (50.0%) from the field, their second straight game to shoot 50 percent or better.
- UK converted on 5-of-13 (38.5%) from beyond the arc, while holding the Blue Raiders to 30.8 percent (4-of-13) from 3-point range.
- All 11 Wildcats in uniform saw action in the game and nine scored at least four points.
- Four Wildcats finished in double-figures.
- Kentucky forced 23 Middle Tennessee turnovers. It was the fifth straight game to force 20 or more miscues.
- Of the 23 turnovers, 12 of them were steals.
- The Wildcats outrebounded Middle Tennessee 35-34. UK has now outrebounded all six opponents this season.
- Junior Bria Goss recorded her second consecutive double-digit scoring effort and fourth of the season with a team-high 16 points.
- Goss had a season-high four steals.
- Junior Jennifer O’Neill scored a season-high 14 points on 5-of-11 shooting.
- O’Neill has registered 10-plus points in five of the six games this season.
- Senior Samarie Walker fell two rebounds shy of her third double-double of the season with 12 points and eight rebounds.
- Her six made field goals were a season high, while her 12 attempts tied a season best.
- Walker extended her streak of consecutive games with at least one steal to 25 after recording three on the night.
- Senior Kastine Evans finished with 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting from the field.
- Evans has reached double figures in five of the six games this season and 21st time in her career.
- Sophomore Janee Thompson dished out a game-high four assists. She has led the team in assists in five of six games.
- Junior Azia Bishop registered eight rebounds to tie a game high with six of them coming on the offensive end.