Kentucky-Connecticut Postgame Notes
Connecticut 80, Kentucky 65
March 27, 2012
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky ends the season at 28-7, while Connecticut improves to 33-4.
- Connecticut leads the series, 3-1.
- UK is 70-33 all-time against teams from the current alignment of the Big East Conference.
- UK is now 11-9 all-time in its nine NCAA Tournament appearances.
- UK is 0-3 in regional final games (1982, 2010, 2012).
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is now 144-85 overall and 114-56 at UK.
- UK is 7-3 under Mitchell in the NCAA Tournament, including 0-2 in regional final games.
- Kentucky is 656-471 in 38 years of varsity play.
- UK went 6-3 vs. teams ranked in The Associated Press top-25 poll, the most wins over ranked teams in school history.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Amber Smith, A'dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans and Samantha Drake for the 11th time this season. The Wildcats are 9-2 with this lineup.
- UK has started a freshman in 137-of-170 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 105 straight.
- Connecticut jumped out to a 9-0 lead before UK got on the board with a three by Bria Goss.
- Trailing 28-21, UK went on a 12-2 run for a 33-30 lead.
- The teams battled evenly after that and UConn got a layup at the buzzer to take a 41-39 lead into halftime.
Second Half Notes
- Ahead 52-49, UConn went on a 17-3 run to stretch the lead to 69-52.
- UConn led by as many as 22 points afterward.
- The Wildcats hit six three-pointers tonight.
- UK now has 211 on the season, extending the UK single-season record for threes.
- UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 292.
- UK had eight steals today, giving the Wildcats 422 on the season and breaking the school record of 418 steals in 2009-10.
- Kentucky forced 18 turnovers in the game.
- UK has forced double-digit miscues in 117 consecutive games. The Cats are 85-32 during that span.
- UK has forced at least 20 turnovers in 29 of 35 games this season.
- Kentucky has forced an SEC-high 939 turnovers this season (26.9 per game), also a single-season school record for UK.
- Kentucky has forced at least 10 turnovers in 54 of 70 halves this season.
- Samarie Walker had 14 points and five rebounds.
- Was named to the All-Regional Tournament team.
- Averaged 13.3 points and 10.8 rebounds in four NCAA Tournament games.
- A'dia Mathies scored eight points and led the Wildcats in rebounding with seven.
- Has 1,435 points as a Wildcat and moved past Jodie Whitaker (1,433) for No. 12 on the UK career list.
- Has made 321 free throws as a Wildcat, moving into fifth place on the UK career list.
- Keyla Snowden had seven points.
- Snowden averaged 13.7 points per game in six postseason games (SEC/NCAA Tournaments).
- Snowden, a transfer from Akron, ends her three years at UK with 869 points, and moved into sole possession of second place on the UK career three-point list with 176.
- Amber Smith had nine points.
- Smith played the 123rd game of her career, moving into sole possession of sixth place on the UK career list.
- Smith ends her career with 867 points and 425 assists, sixth on the UK career assist list.
- Bria Goss had 12 points.
- This was her 23rd game in double figures, moving into sole possession of third place on the UK freshman list.
- Kastine Evans had 10 polnts.
- Has made a three-pointer in nine-straight games.
- Crystal Riley, a transfer from LSU, ends her three-year UK career with 162 points and 63 assists.