Kentucky-Green Bay Postgame Notes
Kentucky 65, Green Bay 62
March 20, 2012
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is now 27-6, while Green Bay is 31-2, ending a 10-game winning streak.
- This was the first meeting between the teams.
- UK is 15-0 all-time against teams from the Horizon League.
- UK is now 10-8 all-time in its ninth NCAA Tournament appearance.
- UK is 2-3 in second-round games.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is now 143-84 overall and 113-55 at UK.
- UK is 6-2 under Mitchell in the NCAA Tournament, including 2-1 in second-round games.
- Kentucky is 655-470 in 38 years of varsity play.
- Kentucky has now won a school record six games vs. ranked teams this season, including three vs. teams in The Associated Press top 10. The Cats are 6-2 vs. the ranked.
- UK improved to 11-3 in games decided by 10 points or less this season.
- Kentucky advances to the Kingston Regional on Sunday against Gonzaga.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Amber Smith, A'dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans and Samantha Drake for the ninth time this season. The Wildcats are 8-1 with this lineup.
- UK has started a freshman in 136-of-168 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 103 straight.
- Leading 10-6, UK hit an 11-0 run for a 21-6 lead.
- Green Bay narrowed the lead to 10 points before UK scored the final seven points of the half and went into intermission leading 42-25.
- UK is now 22-0 this season when leading at halftime.
Second Half Notes
- With UK ahead 51-37 with 11:59 to play, Green Bay went on a 25-10 run to go up 62-61 with 1:57 to go.
- Neither team scored again until Keyla Snowden tallied a jumper at the free-throw line with 18 seconds left to put UK ahead 63-62 with 18 seconds left.
- After UK forced a miss, Snowden was fouled with 5.4 seconds. Shooting a 1-and-1, she made both for a 65-62 lead. Green Bay missed a three and UK rebounded the miss for preserve the win.
- Kentucky shot 51.0 percent from the floor, its third-highest field goal percentage of the season and highest since netting a season-high 54.7 percent vs. Samford on Dec. 21, 2011.
- Kentucky forced 24 turnovers in the game.
- UK has forced double-digit miscues in 115 consecutive games. The Cats are 83-31 during that span.
- UK has forced at least 20 turnovers in 29 of 33 games this season.
- Kentucky has forced an SEC-high 911 turnovers this season (27.6 per game), also a single-season school record for UK.
- Kentucky has forced at least 10 turnovers in 54 of 66 halves this season.
- UK won the rebounding, 39 to 30, UK is 20-0 this season when outrebounding the opponent.
- UK won bench points 33-11.
- UK won second-chance points, 10 to 8. UK is 22-1 this season when having more second-chance points by the opponent.
- The Wildcats hit four three-pointers today and now have 193 on the season, extending the UK single-season record for threes.
- UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 290.
- A'dia Mathies scored 10 points, all in the first half.
- Has made 317 free throws in her career, moving into sixth place on the UK career list.
- Keyla Snowden came off the bench to score 13 points, including the final four of the game.
- Samarie Walker had 15 points and 13 rebounds, her second double-double of the season.
- Walker tied the UK record for most rebounds in an NCAA Tournament game.
- Also led the Cats with three steals.
- Amber Smith had four points and led the Cats with five assists.
- Smith played the 121st game of her career, moving into a tie for seventh place on the UK career list.