Kentucky-South Carolina Postgame Notes
Kentucky 68, South Carolina 58
March 8, 2014
Box Score |
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improved to 24-7 overall this season and has now won five straight.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is 710-484 (.595) in 40 seasons of varsity basketball.
- The Wildcats are 29-35 all-time in the SEC Tournament.
- Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 168-69 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 198-98 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 168 and winning percentage (.709).
- Mitchell is now 10-6 in the SEC Tournament.
- UK is 32-21 all-time vs. South Carolina, including a 2-0 mark vs. the Gamecocks in the SEC Tournament. UK fell to the Gamecocks in both regular-season matchups.
- The Wildcats have advanced to the SEC Tournament Championship game for the fourth time in the last five seasons and second straight.
- The win marks the first in school history over a No. 1 seed in the SEC Tournament. UK was 0-6 entering today’s game.
- UK is looking for its first SEC Tournament Championship since 1982.
- Kentucky is 6-3 vs. ranked opponents this season, including 4-3 vs. teams ranked in the top 10.
- Marked UK’s largest margin of victory over a higher ranked team since defeating No. 8 Tennessee last season in Lexington, 78-65.
- Next up: The Wildcats will face the winner of Tennessee and Texas A&M in the SEC Tournament Championship game on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. ET on ESPN.
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Kastine Evans, Bria Goss, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- Kentucky is 17-4 this season when using this starting lineup.
- UK led at the half, 37-29, and is now 20-2 this season when leading at the half.
- UK has hit a 3-pointer in 359 consecutive games.
- The Wildcats have forced double-digit turnovers in 183 consecutive games.
- Kentucky only committed five turnovers in the game, marking the lowest this season and the lowest in the Matthew Mitchell era.
- The Cats are 67-40 overall in close games (games decided by 10 points or less), including an 11-6 mark this season. UK’s last five games have been decided by 10 or less.
- UK’s freshmen, Makayla Epps and Linnae Harper, came off the bench and combined for 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
- Junior Bria Goss finished with a team-high 14 points, marking her 16th game of the season and fourth straight game with 10 or more points.
- Senior DeNesha Stallworth finished with 12 points.
- Scored 10 or more points in 17 games this season, including eight of her last nine games.
- Freshman Linnae Harper scored 12 points off the bench.
- Marks her 11th game of the season in double digits.
- Freshman Makayla Epps tallied 10 points off the bench for her fifth double-figure scoring game of the season.
- Junior Azia Bishop came off the bench and recorded a season-high three steals.