Kentucky-Vanderbilt Postgame Notes
Kentucky 76, Vanderbilt 65
March 8, 2013
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 26-4, while Vanderbilt falls to 20-11.
- UK advances to the semifinals tomorrow at 6 p.m. ET where it will face the winner of the No. 3 seed Georgia and No. 6 LSU. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
- With the win, head coach Matthew Mitchell earned his 140th career victory.
- Mitchell is UK's all-time winningest coach in just six seasons (140-60). His winning percentage of.700 also is first.
- Kentucky is in its 39th year of varsity play and owns an overall record of 682-475 (.589).
- UK is now 26-34 overall in the SEC Tournament, including 7-5 under Mitchell.
- The Wildcats have advanced to the semifinals in six of their last eight SEC tournaments.
- Kentucky is now 11-12 all-time in quarterfinal games.
- Kentucky is now 19-27 overall against the Commodores, including 3-4 in the SEC Tournament.
- Marked UK's sixth straight win in the series.
- UK's starting lineup featured A'dia Mathies, Kastine Evans, Jennifer O'Neill, Samarie Walker and DeNesha Stallworth. This lineup is 6-1.
- Kentucky had 14 steals, tying the UK record for most steals in a SEC Tournament game. UK also recorded 14 steals vs. LSU (2/26/99) and Auburn (1/31/81).
- Kentucky forced 23 turnovers and has now forced double-digit miscues in 147 consecutive games. The Cats are 111-36 during that span.
- UK's bench outscored Vanderbilt 32-12 improving the Wildcats' record to 21-0 this season when Kentucky's bench outscores its opponents'.
- The Cats connected on seven 3-pointers, totaling 206 on the year. That mark ranks second on UK's single season list.
- Need to five more to tie the single season record.
- Kentucky recorded eight blocks, setting a new single season record with 154. The previous record was 152 set in 2006-07.
- The Wildcats are now 19-2 this season and 87-8 when scoring 70 or more points under Mitchell.
- The Wildcats extended their streak of consecutive games with a triple to 322.
- All 12 players played at least one minute, 10 scored at least two points.
- No player played over 26 minutes.
- Senior guard A'dia Mathies led the Cats in scoring with 16 points, while recording a season-high five steals. She also equaled her season best with two blocks.
- Moves to No. 2 all-time in steals at UK with 308, passing Victoria Dunlap (307, 2008-11).
- Needs just one more to tie the school record of 309 set by Stacey Reed (1991-95).
- Has reached double-figures in 28-of-30 games, including 21 in a row.
- Played in her 134th career game, marking the most all-time in Kentucky history.
- Made two 3-pointers, moving her to seventh on UK's single season list with 62.
- Junior center DeNesha Stallworth posted 14 points, marking the 23rd time she has scored in double digits this season.
- Junior center Samantha Drake came off the bench and scored a season-high tying nine points on 3-of-4 shooting from the floor in just 16 minutes.
- Freshman point guard Janee Thompson came off the bench to score seven points and tie her season-high with three assists in 17 minutes.