Kentucky-Texas A&M Postgame Notes
Kentucky 83, Texas A&M 74
Feb. 23, 2014
Box Score |
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improved to 20-7 overall this season and 8-6 in the SEC.
- The win gives Kentucky its school-record fifth straight 20-win season.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is 706-484 (.593) in 40 seasons of varsity basketball.
- Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 164-69 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 194-98 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 164 and winning percentage (.704).
- Mitchell is now 69-37 in SEC play, and 29-24 on the road.
- UK is 3-1 all-time vs. Texas A&M, including a 2-0 record in games played in College Station.
- Kentucky is now 5-3 vs. ranked opponents this season.
- Today’s attendance was 7,343.
- Next up: The Wildcats wrap up their two-game road trip in Starkville, Miss., with a matchup vs. the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Thursday, Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. CT/8 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Kastine Evans, Bria Goss, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- The Wildcats are 14-4 when using this starting lineup on the season.
- Bria Goss scored the first points of the game for UK with a pair of free throws.
- Goss has scored UK’s first points in nine games this season, which leads the team.
- Jennifer O’Neill and Linnae Harper were the first UK players off the bench at the 16:13 mark in the first half.
- UK is 16-2 this season when leading or tied at the half and 5-2 in SEC play.
- Samarie Walker pulled down 10 rebounds in the first half.
- Kentucky dominated the glass in the first half, outrebounding the Aggies, 25-12.
- UK shot 51.7 percent (15-of-29) from the field, which is a season high during conference play.
- The 51.7 percent also marks just the second game of the conference season in which UK has shot 50 percent or better in a first half. UK shot 51.2% against Alabama on Jan. 2.
Second Half Notes
- Jennifer O’Neill scored 10 of her team-high 17 points in the second half.
- Linnae Harper scored 10 of her 16 points in the half.
- UK has hit a 3-pointer in 355 consecutive games.
- The Wildcats have forced double digit turnovers in 179 consecutive games.
- Kentucky improved to 308-21 overall, 63-3 under Coach Mitchell and 13-1 this season when scoring 80-plus points.
- UK outrebounded Texas A&M, 47-32 and has now outrebounded 16 opponents, including 11 by double digits.
- The Wildcats are 15-1 when outrebounding the opponent this season.
- The plus-15 rebounding margin is the largest vs. an SEC opponent this season.
- Kentucky’s bench was a major factor in the game, outscoring A&M’s, 53-10.
- UK’s 83 points mark the first time A&M has allowed an opponent to score 80 points this season.
- Junior Jennifer O’Neill notched her 20th double-figure game of the season with a team-high 17 points.
- Six straight games in double figures.
- UK is 17-3 this season when O’Neill reaches the double-digit mark.
- Senior DeNesha Stallworth recorded her 26th career double-double and fifth of the season with 11 points and 12 rebounds.
- Has scored 10 or more points in 13 games this season.
- Her 11 defensive rebounds are a career best.
- Freshman Linnae Harper registered her 10th double-figure scoring effort of the season with 16 points off the bench on 6-of-9 shooting.
- Tied a career high with 25 minutes of action.
- Freshman Makayla Epps scored all 11 of her points from the free-throw line (11-of-14) in 22 minutes off the bench.
- Second straight game in double figures and fourth of the season.
- The 11 made free throws and 14 attempts were both career highs.
- Senior Samarie Walker just missed a double-double finishing with eight points and a season-high tying 14 boards.
- Marks her 12th game of the season with 10-plus rebounds.
- Recorded a season-high 10 defensive rebounds.
- Junior Jelleah Sidney came off the bench and played a career-high tying 20 minutes en route to seven points, seven rebounds, three steals and two blocked shots.
- Senior Kastine Evans has now made at least one 3-pointer in 23-of-26 games this season after going 1-of-2 today.