Kentucky-Auburn Postgame Notes
Kentucky 73, Auburn 71
Jan. 19, 2014
Team Records and Series Notes
- UK improved to 15-3 overall this season and 3-2 in the SEC.
- Kentucky’s all-time record is now 701-480 (.594) in 40 seasons of varsity basketball.
- Mitchell is in his seventh season as the head coach of the Wildcats and owns a record of 159-65 at UK. Overall, Mitchell is 189-94 in nine seasons.
- He already ranks first on UK’s all-time wins list with 159 and winning percentage (.710).
- Mitchell is now 64-33 in SEC play, and 27-22 on the road.
- UK is 18-25 all-time vs. Auburn and 7-11 in games played in Auburn. The Wildcats have won six straight in the series.
- Kentucky improved to 59-37 in close games (decided by 10 points or less) under Coach Mitchell.
- Today’s attendance was 3,129.
- Next up: The Wildcats begin a two-game homestand with the second matchup of the season vs. Alabama on Thursday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- UK started with the lineup of Janee Thompson, Kastine Evans, Bria Goss, DeNesha Stallworth and Samarie Walker.
- The Wildcats are 10-1 this season when using this starting lineup.
- Samarie Walker scored the first points of the game for UK with a pair of free throws.
- Azia Bishop was the first UK players off the bench at the 16:38 mark in the first half.
- The Wildcats trailed by as many as 13 points in the half, but trailed by just one (36-37) at half.
- Kentucky improved to 2-3 on the season and 1-2 in SEC play when trailing at the half.
- UK outscored Auburn 22-0 in bench scoring in the opening stanza.
Second Half Notes
- UK began the second half with the same starting five that started the game.
- Kentucky led by as many as nine points in the second half.
- With less than 40 seconds remaining and UK clinging to a two-point lead, senior Samarie Walker and freshman Linnae Harper came up with two crucial offensive rebounds to help UK seal the win.
- UK has hit a 3-pointer in 346 consecutive games.
- The Wildcats have forced double-digit turnovers in 170 consecutive games.
- The Wildcats trailed by as many as 13 points in the game, marking the sixth-largest comeback in the Mitchell era.
- Kentucky outrebounded Auburn, 40-37. UK has outrebounded 12-of-18 opponents this season.
- UK held AU to just 1-of-7 (.143) from 3-point range for the game, which were all season lows for a UK opponent this season.
- UK outscored the Tigers in bench points, 43-3.
- The Wildcats blocked a season-high eight shots
- Kentucky swiped 10 steals in the game, marking the 11th time this season the Wildcats have finished with double-digit steals.
- Junior point guard Jennifer O’Neill finished came off the bench for a team-high 16 points, her team-high tying 13th game of the season with 10 or more points.
- Tied a season high with four made 3-point field goals and set a career high with 11 attempts.
- Moved into sole possession of seventh place with 114 career 3-point field goals made, passing Samantha Mahoney.
- Senior forward Samarie Walker registered her 18th career and seventh double-double of the season with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Marks her second consecutive double-double and fourth in the last five games.
- Marks her 13th double-figure scoring game of the season, including sixth straight.
- Marks her 10th double-digit rebounding effort of the season, including two straight.
- Tied a career high with four assists.
- Recorded career highs in free throws made (7) and attempted (14).
- Freshman guard Linnae Harper came off the bench for 13 points, her seventh double-digit scoring output of the season.
- Tied her career high with seven rebounds.
- Grabbed a game-high five offensive rebounds, including a key board with 39 seconds to play.
- Set a career high with three assists.
- Played a career-high 25 minutes.
- Senior guard Kastine Evans registered a season-high five steals.