Dec. 31, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. – With the help of pleasant weather and moderate temperatures, the Kentucky football team concluded 2010 with a spirited two-hour workout Friday afternoon at the Nutter Training Center practice fields.
“It was an upbeat practice," Coach Joker Phillips said. "Everybody is excited. There was a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of flying around. The defense was having fun and the offense was having fun. This is really the first two times that we have been able to get outside and get some punting done so we are working more special teams since we have been outside the last two days.”
Phillips added that he also was excited about the performance of Kentucky's men's basketball team, which won at in-state rival Louisville earlier in the day.
“It was a great game," Phillips said. "It was a nice environment and good to see all the Wildcat fans up there. I was really happy for Josh Harrellson and the way that he played. He played outstanding. Again, everyone thinks that offense wins games but our defense won that game today.”
Phillips' squad will practice Saturday and Sunday in Lexington before traveling to Birmingham on Monday. The Wildcats are preparing for the BBVA Compass Bowl on Jan. 8 against the Big East tri-champion Pittsburgh Panthers.
Sideline Seats Available Through UK: Tickets are available to the BBVA Compass Bowl for both season-ticket holders and the general public. Fans are encouraged to buy directly from the Kentucky ticket office, as all tickets from the UK allotment are sideline seats. All tickets are $50 each.
Tickets may be purchased:
· In-person at the UK Ticket Office in the Joe Craft Center, open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 28-30, from noon to 4 p.m.
· By calling the ticket office during the hours listed above at 800-928-2287
· By mail or fax; print a ticket application from UKathletics.com and mail or fax (859-323-1269) to the ticket office.
'Operation Win' to Benefit Birmingham: To implement the 'Operation Win' initiative in the community, Coach Joker Phillips and the Cats plan to sponsor children from elementary schools around Legion Field, as well as Birmingham-area military personnel. Building off the GAMEDAY READY tour that traveled around Kentucky this past summer, the Wildcats hope to give back to the Birmingham community by providing game tickets sponsored by Wildcat fans and supporters.
Fans can participate by:
* Making a 100% tax-deductible contribution to the Operation Win Birmingham Fund
* Contributions can be made in $50 increments - the cost of one BBVA Compass Bowl ticket
* Ticket blocks will be donated to local Birmingham elementary schools and military personnel
* Help provide an opportunity for youth to experience Kentucky football
* Fans can make contributions to the Operation Win Birmingham Fund in addition to purchasing their BBVA Compass Bowl tickets
* Fans will receive three K Fund points for every $100 contribution
* Fans will receive one K Fund point for a $50 contribution
* The Operation Win drive will continue throughout December, as these tickets will be assigned separately from any priority ticket requests
To contribute to Operation Win Birmingham, fans may fax the application back to the UK Ticket Office at (859) 323-1269. Contributions are also welcome by phone by calling the UK Ticket Office at (800) 928-2287 or the K Fund Office at (859) 257-6300.