April 21, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Coach Joker Phillips and the Kentucky coaching staff have decided to change the format of Saturday’s Blue/White Spring Game, which is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. at Commonwealth Stadium.
Previously announced as an offense vs. defense scoring system, Blue/White will now be a true game format with the first team (White) taking on the second team (Blue).
“The players wanted more excitement and felt that a game format would do it,” Phillips said. “I know that a scrimmage scoring system can be confusing and this will be easier to follow.”
One twist for the Blue/White Game is that the Blue team will be staked to a 14-0 lead on the scoreboard to begin the game.
Phillips said earlier that limited numbers of players at some positions were the motivation for an offense vs. defense format. The coach noted that under the new game format, players could switch teams if needed.
More Information on the Blue/White Game:
- Admission and parking are free on a first-come, first-served basis. (If you’ve never gotten to sit on the 50-yard line, here’s your chance!)
- The Red, Blue and Green parking lots open at 8 a.m. and fans are welcome to tailgate.
- Stadium gates 2, 3, 4, 9, 10 and 11 open at 1:30 p.m.
- Seating will be available in the north, west and south lower sections of the stadium.
- Verizon, the event sponsor, will be positioned inside stadium gates 4 and 9. Verizon will be giving away sunglasses, lanyards or drawstring bags while supplies last.
- Team roster cards will be given away at the stadium gates. There is a coupon on the back of the roster card which is good for free admission to that night’s baseball game at 7 p.m. vs. Arkansas.
- The stadium ticket office outside gate 4 will be open from 1-3 p.m. in order for current season-ticket holders to renew their tickets.
- Concession stands and the Nike Team Shops will be available on the stadium concourse.
- There will be a radio broadcast on the Big Blue Sports Network, including WLAP in Lexington (630 on the AM dial) and WHAS in Louisville (840 AM).