Oct. 22, 2011
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, Ky.
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky is 3-4 overall, 0-3 in the Southeastern Conference. Jacksonville State is 5-2, 4-0 in OVC play.
- This was the first-ever meeting between Kentucky and Jacksonville State.
- Kentucky plays host to Mississippi State next Saturday, Oct. 29. The game will be televised by FS South at 7:00 p.m. ET.
UK Team Notes
- Kentucky won the toss and elected to receive.
- UK is 6-0 under Joker Phillips in games that the Wildcats win the turnover margin.
- The Wildcat defense held JSU to 270 yards of total offense, the lowest since surrendering only 234 yards vs. Western Kentucky in the season opener.
- The UK defense also forced one fumble and totaled two interceptions.
- Kentucky is now 47-19 in Homecoming games since 1946.
- UK scored a season high 38 points in the win.
- Kentucky's season-high 340 rushing yards is the most for the Cats since Nov. 13, 2010 when UK ran for 341 yards vs. Vanderbilt.
- UK also posted season-highs with 445 total yards on offense and 22 first downs.
- The Wildcat offensive line did not surrender a sack for the second straight game.
1st Quarter Summary
- UK-M.Newton rushes for 14 yards fumbled and recovered by JSU-P.Warren at the JSU23.
- JSU-C.Blanchard sacked by UK-M.Neloms for a loss of 8 yards then fumbled, recovered by UK-M.Neloms and returned for a 40-yard TD. UK 7, JSU 0 (3:33)
2nd Quarter Summary
- UK-C.Williams rushes for 15 yards to the JSU38.
- UK-M.Newton completes a 29-yard TD to UK-L.King. UK 14, JSU 0 (13:37)
- The TD catch was King’s fifth of the season.
- UK-C.Williams rushes for 37 yards to the JSU45.
- UK-M.Newton rushes for 1-yard TD. UK 21, JSU 0 (6:05)
- JSU-C.Blanchard completes a 22-yard pass to JSU-K.Cooper at the JSU48.
- JSU-C.Blanchard completes a 22-yard TD pass to JSU-A.Bonner. UK 21, JSU 7 (2:28)
- UK-C.Williams rushes for 17 yards to the JSU43.
- UK-M.Newton completes a 24-yard pass UK-L.King at the JSU6.
- UK-C.McIntosh made a 27-yard field goal. UK 24, JSU 7 (0:00)
3rd Quarter Summary
- UK-C.Williams rushes for 17 yards to the UK28.
- JSU-C.Blanchard was intercepted by UK-D.Trevathan and returned to the JSU6.
4th Quarter Summary
- UK-M.Newton completes a 6-yard TD to UK-L.King. UK 31, JSU 7 (14:55)
- The TD catch was King’s second of the day and sixth of the season.
- JSU-G.Chambers returned the kickoff 99 yards for a TD. UK 31, JSU 14 (14:38)
- UK-J.George rushes for 16 yards to the JSU9.
- UK-J.George rushes for 6 yards fumbled and recovered by JSU-P.Warren at the JSU2.
- JSU-C.Blanchard was intercepted by UK-L.McDermott and returned to the JSU17.
- It was Dermott’s second career interception.
- UK-J.George rushes for a 9- yard touchdown. UK 38, JSU 14 (6:40)
- It was George’s first career rushing TD.
UK Individual Notes
- Martavius Neloms' fumble recovery for a TD in the first quarter was the first for UK since Ventrell Jenkins' 56-yard return vs. East Carolina in 2009 (Jan. 2).
- CoShik Williams has a career-high 148 yards rushing today. The last UK player to eclipse the 100-yard mark rushing was Josh Clemons vs. Central Michigan earlier this season. It was also the most rushing yards by a UK player since Randall Cobb rushed 10 times for 170 yards vs. Vanderbilt last season.
- Junior WR La’Rod King caught five passes for 84 yards and two touchdowns. King now has 1,019 career receiving yards to become the 22nd player in school history to reach 1,000 receiving yards in his career.
- Junior QB Morgan Newton rushed for a career-high 75 yards on 12 carries with one TD. Newton was 10-of-16 passing for 15 yards and two TDs.
- Senior safety Winston Guy led UK with 12 tackles, including two pass break-ups. It marked the sixth time this season and 10th time in his career he has had double-digit tackles.
- Sophomore RB Jonathan George rushed 10 times for a career-high 66 yards and his first career touchdown.
- Freshman RB Brandon Gainer posted career highs with seven rushes for 33 yards with a career-long rush of 11 yards.
- UK punter Ryan Tydlacka punted five times for an average of 45.0 per punt and Craig McIntosh made his only field goal attempt of 27 yards.
- Sophomore FB Cody Jones earned his first career carries with two rushes for eight yards.