Kentucky-Western Kentucky Postgame Notes
Kentucky 14, Western Kentucky 3
Sept. 2, 2011
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Team Records and Series Notes
- This was the season opener for both teams.
- Kentucky leads the series, 3-0.
- Kentucky has won five-straight season openers, the most since an eight-game streak to open the 1987-94 seasons.
- Kentucky has won a school-record 20-consecutive regular-season non-conference games.
- Kentucky will host Central Michigan on Saturday, Sept. 10th in its home opener.
UK Team Notes
- WKU won the toss and deferred to the second half.
- UK's defense held WKU to 93 passing yards, the fewest since allowing only 90 yards passing at Ole Miss last season (Oct. 2, 2010).
- UK also held WKU to 234 total yards, the fewest by an opponent since Akron's 172 total yards a year ago on Sept. 18, 2010.
- Kentucky's defense held WKU without a TD, surrendering only three points. That's the lowest scoring output by an opponent since shutting out Miami-Ohio, 42-0, on Sept. 5, 2009 in Cincinnati.
- The UK defense totaled four interceptions, the most by Kentucky since four picks vs. Idaho State on Sept. 10, 2005.
- The last time UK forced four turnovers was in its win over South Carolina on Oct. 16, 2010.
- 1st Quarter Summary
- WKU's Bobby Rainey rushed for 10 yards to the UK45.
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes sacked by UK's Luke McDermott for a loss of 5
- UK's Morgan Newton intercepted by WKU's Vince Williams at the UK32.
- WKU's Casey Tinius made a 41-yard FG. WKU 3, UK 0 (6:40)
- UK's Morgan Newton sacked by WKU's Andrew Jackson for a loss of 5.
- 2nd Quarter Summary
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes completes a 25-yard pass to Boe Brand to the UK21.
- WKU's Casey Tinius missed a 34-yard FG attempt.
- UK's Ryan Tydlacka punted for 59 yards to the WKU7.
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes intercepted by UK's Winston Guy at the WKU22.
- It was Guy's fourth career interception.
- UK's Josh Clemons rushed for a 14-yard TD. UK 7, WKU 3 (5:46)
- It was Clemons' first career touchdown.
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes sacked by UK's Collins Ukwu for a loss of 6
- UK's Morgan Newton sacked for a loss of 11.
- UK's Morgan Newton completes a 6-yard pass to Stuart Hines.
- It was Hines' first career reception.
- 3rd Quarter Summary
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes intercepted by UK's Ronnie Sneed returned to the WKU47.
- It was Sneed's first career interception.
- UK's Morgan Newton sacked by WKU's Xavius Boyd for a loss of 11.
- WKU's Hendrix Brakefield punted for 58 yards to the UK7.
- UK's Ryan Tydlacka punted for 52 yards, returned 2 yards to the WKU6.
- UK's Morgan Newton completes a 34-yard pass to Gene McCaskill to the WKU40.
- 4th Quarter Summary
- UK's Morgan Newton intercepted by WKU's Derrius Brooks at the WKU5.
- UK's Morgan Newton intercepted by WKU's Jared Clendenin at the WKU42.
- UK's Morgan Newton rushed for 58 yards to the WKU26.
- UK's Morgan Newton completes a 31-yard TD pass to La'Rod King. UK 14, WKU 3 (4:35)
- It was King's 7th career touchdown reception.
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes intercepted by UK's Martavius Neloms returned to the UK45.
- It was Neloms' first career interception.
- WKU's Kawaun Jakes intercepted by UK's Winston Guy in the end zone.
- It was Guy's fifth career interception and second of the game.
UK Individual Notes
- Freshman Josh Clemons totaled 11 carries for 42 yards and a 14-yard TD.
- Senior QB Morgan Newton rushed for a career-high 68 yards, gaining 58 yards on a 4th quarter scramble. They are both career highs.
- Junior receiver La'Rod King led UK with two catches for 42 yards, including a 31-yard touchdown.
- Senior linebacker Ronnie Sneed posted a career-high 10 tackles.
- Senior safety Winston Guy totaled 10 tackles, including 2.5 for loss and notched two interceptions, the fourth and fifth INTs of his career.
- Senior Ryan Tydlacka punted seven times for a 47.1 yard average, including a 59 yarder.
- Senior linebacker Danny Trevathan had 13 tackles. He now has posted 10 consecutive games of double-figure tackles.
- Sophomore Kevin Mitchell (OG) and Junior Mikie Benton (FS) made their first starts.
- Senior OG Stuart Hines hauled in his first career reception at the end of the 2nd quarter.