Nov. 23, 2008
Complete Pregame Notes
After claiming victory in their first Las Vegas Invitational game against Delaware State, the Wildcats face Longwood in the final tournament game in Lexington.
Paced by Jodie Meeks’ 22 points, the Wildcats held the Hornets to 31 percent shooting en route to a 71-42 victory. UK’s stingy defense limited Delaware State to 22 percent (5-23) in the second half, allowing just 19 points.
Meeks led all scorers while freshman Darius Miller contributed 13 points and four assists both personal bests.
Following the game against Longwood the Wildcats will head to Vegas to take on Kansas State and either West Virginia or Iowa in the final two rounds of the tournament.
- Kentucky is in its 106th season of basketball.
- Kentucky is the all-time NCAA leader in wins with 1,967.
- Jodie Meeks’ is averaging 26.7 ppg through the first three games of the season, the best three-game start by a Wildcat since Jamal Mashburn in the 1992-93 season.
- Meeks leads the Southeastern Conference in scoring.
- Longwood will be the second of four first-time opponents for the Wildcats. Prior to Saturday’s game, UK had not faced Delaware State. Kentucky has also never played Appalachian State or Florida Atlantic at any point in their history.
- After shooting only 21 percent on three-pointers in the first two games, UK shot 53 percent against Delaware State, making nine of 17.
- Kentucky ranks third in the SEC in blocked shots with 20.
- Once again, every UK basketball game will be televised live, including both of UK’s exhibition games.