Kentucky-Dominican Republic Postgame Notes
Dominican Republic 63, Kentucky 62
Aug. 17, 2014
Box Score |
Team Records, Notes
- Kentucky finishes the Bahamas tour with a 5-1 record after suffering its first defeat of the trip today.
- Including a trip to Canada for an exhibition series in 2010, the Wildcats are now 7-1 in exhibition contests in the John Calipari era.
- Assistant coach John Robic served as Kentucky's head coach in today's contest.
- Kentucky shot 50.8 percent from the field in the six contests.
- Nine of 11 players who appeared in the contest scored in today's game. UK had at least nine players score in all six games this week.
- Kentucky had 108 assists on 183 made field goals in the tournament.
First Half Facts
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Devin Booker, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress in all six games.
- Kentucky's first subs off the bench remained the same with the squad of Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis.
- A 9-3 run by the Dominican's lifts the designated visitors to a 19-17 advantage midway through the half.
- Kentucky trailed by as many as seven at 24-17, which was also the largest deficit in all six games in the Bahamas.
- UK's second unit utilized a 13-3 run to cap the stanza which was highlighted by a Ulis running floater before the buzzer to give Kentucky a 36-29 lead at the break.
- Ulis led the scoring for Kentucky in the opening half with 10 points for his second straight double-digit performance. He also had a pair of assists and a steal.
- Towns and Lee led the rebounding effort with three apiece, while Ulis and Hawkins both had two assists.
- Poythress, Towns and Willis all had eight first half points to aid the Wildcat cause.
Second Half Facts
- UK began the second half with its original starting lineup for the first time this tournament.
- Kentucky led for the entire second half until the final 30 seconds of play.
- UK held a 59-46 lead with under nine minutes to play.
- The Dominican Republic utilized a 17-3 run over the final eight minutes of action to earn the victory on a less than five-second made field goal by Jack Michael Martinez.
- Aaron Harrison had six second-half points to lead the scoring for the Wildcats.
- Ulis posted three assists in the half.
- Johnson had eight of his nine rebounds in the final stanza.
- Dominique Hawkins scored seven points on 3-of-6 shooting from the floor.
- Connected on his second 3-pointer of the tournament
- Hit 42.9 percent of his field goals in the six games
- Dakari Johnson led the team with nine rebounds and had five points.
- Had a team-high 44 rebounds for the tournament
- Also posted a squad-best 16 offensive rebounds in the six contests
- Karl-Anthony Towns logged 10 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- Also added three blocks, a tournament-high for any UK player
- Averaged 11 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the week
- Tyler Ulis scored in double-figures with a team-high 12 points while also dishing out five assists.
- Scored in double-digits in two straight contests
- Notched 24 assists in the six games for an average of four a game
- Averaged 7.7 points and shot 47.4 percent from behind the arc for the tournament with a squad-equaling high of nine 3-pointers
- Derek Willis poured in 10 points and snagged three rebounds
- All four of his made field goals came by way of a dunk, he also had two made free throws
- Scored 36 points in the six contests