Aug. 11, 2014
Box Score |
Kentucky Basketball Postgame Notes
Kentucky 81, Champagne Chalons-Reims Basket 49
August 11, 2014
Sir Kendal Isaacs Gymnasium
Team Records, Notes
- Kentucky improves to 2-0 on its 2014 exhibition tour in the Bahamas.
- Including a trip to Canada for an exhibition series in 2010, the Wildcats are now 5-0 in exhibition contests in the John Calipari era.
- Associate head coach Kenny Payne served as Kentucky’s head coach in today’s contest.
- The Wildcats return to action on Tuesday, Aug. 12 at 1 p.m. ET. UK will play the Puerto Rico National Team Reserves for the second time in three days.
- UK dished out 17 assists and has combined for 37 assists in two contests. Seven different Wildcats had at least one assist in today’s game.
- For the second straight contest, Kentucky’s 10 players who posted at least 19 minutes of game action scored at least one basket.
- Kentucky dominated the boards and hauled in 38 for the contest, while limiting Chalons-Reims to just 18.
- UK’s offensive efficiency was once again stellar as the Wildcats connected on 52 percent of its shots from the floor. In two games, Kentucky is shooting at a sparkling 50 percent clip.
- Nine of Kentucky’s 29 made field goals came in the form of a dunk. Marcus Lee, Aaron Harrison, Karl-Anthony Towns, Alex Poythress and Dakari Johnson all registered at least one dunk.
First Half Facts
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Devin Booker, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress for the second consecutive outing.
- Poythress scored the game’s first bucket.
- Kentucky’s first subs off the bench were the equivalent of yesterday’s squad of Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis.
- Chalons-Reims grabbed a 20-12 lead with a little more than 10 minutes remaining in the half.
- Behind a 10-0 run late in the opening stanza, UK grabbed a lead it would not relinquish at 28-22. The run included a Hawkins-to-Lee alley-oop and back-to-back 3-pointers from Hawkins and Willis.
- Poythress scored six points over the final 3:18 and ended the stanza as UK’s top scorer with eight first half points.
Second Half Facts
- UK began the second half with Hawkins, Lee, Towns, Ulis and Willis in the lineup for the second straight game.
- That unit opened the half on a 12-7 run; similar to the 6-0 start it had against the Puerto Rican team on Monday.
- Towns began to heat up, scoring five of UK’s points during that stretch.
- Kentucky opened up its biggest lead of the game at 56-39 at the 12:45 mark.
- After the French went to a 1-3-1 zone down by 17, Ulis knocked down his second triple of the game to stretch the Wildcats’ advantage to 60-40.
- Towns finished the second half with a squad-best 13 second half points en route to the first double-double of the summer exhibition tour. He finished with 19 points and 10 boards.
- Andrew Harrison scored five points and had a team-high five assists.
- Has a team-high nine assists in the two games.
- Dominique Hawkins contributed seven points and added an assist and a steal.
- Dakari Johnson posted 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting from the floor.
- Shot a team-best 80 percent from the floor.
- Grabbed three offensive rebounds.
- Alex Poythress tallied 16 points and contributed eight rebounds.
- Went a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
- Led the team with six defensive rebounds.
- Is averaging 13 points and seven rebounds in UK’s two contests thus far.
- Is shooting a team-high 62 percent from the floor.
- Karl-Anthony Towns notched a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Added a trio of assists.
- Is UK’s leading scorer and rebounder over the first two games in the Bahamas, averaging 14.5 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.
- Tyler Ulis drained a pair of 3-pointers and passed out three assists.
- Also hauled in three rebounds on the afternoon.
- Has eight assists in the two games.
- Derek Willis logged three points and hauled in five rebounds.
- Posted seven rebounds and four assists in two contests in the Bahamas.