Kentucky-Western Kentucky Postgame Notes
Kentucky 81, Western Kentucky 66
March 15, 2012
Box Score |
Photo Gallery |
AP Photo Gallery
- Kentucky improved to 33-2, while Western Kentucky ended its season 16-19.
- The Wildcats are 4-2 all-time against Western Kentucky and 2-1 against the Hilltoppers in the NCAA Tournament.
- Kentucky currently has the most NCAA Tournament wins in the history of the tournament with 106.
- UK is now 106-46 in NCAA Tournament games.
- The Wildcats are now 42-10 in NCAA Tournament openers and have won 20 of their last 21 tournament opening games.
- Head coach John Calipari is now 33-13 in the NCAA Tournament.
Team game notes
- The Wildcats used the starting combination of Terrence Jones, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, Anthony Davis and Marquis Teague for the 25th time this season. UK is 24-1 with that starting five.
- Darius Miller was the first sub off the bench for UK. It was his 22nd time as the Wildcat sixth man.
- Kentucky extended its streak of games with a 3-pointer to 822 games, the third-longest streak in the country.
- With nine blocked shots, the Wildcats sit in third on the all-time NCAA team blocks list with 308, one shy of second.
- Kentucky opened with a 10-0 run, its 21st 10-0 or better run this season.
- The Wildcats led 45-26 at the half. UK is 27-0 when leading at halftime.
- UK’s 45 first-half points are the most points by Kentucky in the first half since tallying 52 against South Carolina on Feb. 4.
- The Cats’ 19-point halftime lead was its largest since leading South Carolina by 27 at the half at the same game.
- Kentucky’s 15-point victory was its largest margin of victory in the NCAA Tournament since the 2010 Sweet 16 when the Cats beat Cornell 62-45.
Individual game notes
- Finished with six points pushing his career total to 1,184 points, placing him 41st on the all-time scoring list.
- With 22 points, Jones became UK’s 59th member of the 1,000-point club. He now has 1,017 career points, placing him 56th on UK’s all-time scoring list.
- Scored in double-figures in the first half with 15 points for the eighth time this season.
- Scored NCAA Tournament career-high 22 points.
- Recorded fourth double-double of the season.
- With seven blocks, moved to fifth on UK’s all-time blocks list with 164.
- Broke the UK single game NCAA Tournament record for blocks.
- With 16 points moved to within 65 points of his 1,000th career point.
- Has hit a 3-pointer in 17-straight games.
- With 14 first-half points, has eight games hitting double-figures in the first half.
- Scored NCAA Tournament career-high 16 points.
- With 90 assists to 40 turnovers, Teague boasts a 2.3 assist-to-turnover ratio over the last 17 games.