March 12, 2009
Box Score |
- Kentucky improves to 20-12 on the season while Ole Miss falls to 16-15.
- Kentucky leads the series with Ole Miss 96-12 and is now 14-0 against the Rebels in the SEC Tournament.
- The Wildcats are now 111-21overall in the SEC Tournament.
- The Wildcats improve to 15-1 in first round games.
- This was UK's second meeting in the last four years against Ole Miss in the first round of the tournament. The Cats also defeated the Rebels in 2006.
- Billy Gillispie is now 138-83 in his career, 38-25 at Kentucky.
- Kentucky will now face No. 1 seed LSU in the quarterfinal round of the tournament on Friday, March 13 at 1 p.m. EST.
Team game notes
- The Wildcats used the starting combination of Ramon Harris, Jodie Meeks, Patrick Patterson, Michael Porter and Perry Stevenson. UK is now 12-8 with that lineup.
- UK won the opening tip. The Wildcats have won the opening tip 20 times this season.
- Josh Harrellson was the first sub off the bench for Kentucky. It was his third time this season as the Wildcats' first sub.
- UK extended its string of 708 consecutive games making a three-pointer.
- Kentucky's 16-point lead in the second half was its largest lead since a 22-point margin against Tennessee in Lexington.
- UK trailed 38-36 at the half. The Wildcats are now 3-8 when trailing at the half.
- The Cats committed just 10 turnovers, the lowest since charting 10 vs. Ole Miss in Oxford on Jan. 27.
- Four players scored in double-digits for the seventh time this season, including the third time against a SEC foe. UK is 5-2 when four players scored double figures.
- UK held Ole Miss to just 20 points in the second half, the lowest scoring output by an SEC opponent this season. It also marked the lowest output in the second half since West Virginia managed only 17 points against the Cats on Nov. 29.
- The Cats shot 46.7 percent in the game, including 53.8 percent in the second half. It marks UK's highest shooting performance since netting.538 percent vs. LSU on Feb. 28.
- UK outscored the Rebels 48-22 in points in the paint and turned 18 Rebel turnovers into 23 points.
Individual game notes
- Made his 49th career start
- Had seven rebounds and has now combined for 12 rebounds in last two games
- Made his 41st career start
- Tied season high with three steals
- Committed just one turnover for the second consecutive game
- Made his 37th career start
- Scored 13 points, the most since tallying an SEC-high 16 points vs. Alabama on Jan. 24
- Grabbed eight rebounds, the most since pulling down eight vs. Florida on Feb. 10
- Made his 38th career start
- With a game-high 25 points, he now has 790 points this season, passing Jamal Mashburn (767) for the second-highest single season point total. Dan Issel is UK's leader with 948 points in the 1969-70 season.
- Hit double figures in scoring in the first half for the 18th time this season
- Hit UK's lone three-pointer in the game and now has at least one trey in 31 of 32 games this season.
- Recorded his 21st 20-point game
- Moved past Reggie Hanson and Wayne Turner up to No. 39 on UK's all-time scoring list with 1,182 career points
- Made his 55th career start
- After finishing the first half with eight rebounds, is averaging 7.3 rebounds in the first half over the last four games
- Recorded his 13th double-double of the season, the 13th most in a season in UK history.
- Now ranks 15th on UK's all-time double-double list with 19 in his career.
- Scored 12 points, his fifth double-digit outing this season
- It's the most points for the freshman since scoring a career-high vs. Tennessee on Feb. 21