Kentucky-Auburn Postgame Notes
Kentucky 72, Auburn 62
Feb. 9, 2013
Box Score |
AP Photo Gallery |
Team Records and Series Notes
- With the win, Kentucky improved to 17-7, 8-2 in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn falls to 9-14, 3-7 in SEC action.
- UK has won five consecutive games, its longest winning streak of the 2012-13 season.
- It marks UK's longest winning streak since the Wildcats won six consecutive NCAA Tournament games in claiming the 2011-12 NCAA Championship.
- UK leads the all-time series with Auburn, 88-17, including a 45-2 mark in games played in Lexington.
- UK has now won 15 consecutive meetings in the series with Auburn, not suffering a setback since 2000.
- Kentucky returns to action on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at No. 2 Florida, with the game set for a 7 p.m. ET tipoff and will be televised live on ESPN.
- Kentucky is the all-time NCAA leader with 2,107 wins.
- UK's attendance of 24,253 marked the second-largest total of the season.
- UK head coach John Calipari improved to 5-0 all-time against Auburn and 48-10 all-time against SEC foes.
- Calipari is 564-160 all-time in his career and 119-20 in his UK career.
- UK used the starting lineup of Nerlens Noel, Archie Goodwin, Ryan Harrow, Alex Poythress and Julius Mays. UK is 8-1 with this starting lineup.
- With a 3-pointer from Harrow early in the first half, Kentucky has now made a 3-pointer in 850 consecutive games, the third-longest streak in the nation.
- The Wildcats improved to 16-1 in 2012-13 when leading at the half.
- Kentucky held Auburn to 43-percent shooting (22-for-51) from the field, marking the seventh consecutive foe held under 46-percent shooting.
- Kentucky improved to 72-2 under Calipari when holding opponents to less than 63 points.
- UK won the rebounding battle for the 17th time of 2012-13 and for the third consecutive game, outrebounding Auburn, 35-29.
- UK made 26 total free throws, its second-most free-throw attempts made on the year, behind only 31 made free throws against Morehead State.
- Freshman Nerlens Noel posted his third consecutive double-double, collecting 10 points and 12 rebounds.
- Noel – the NCAA leader in blocked shots – blocked a shot for the 23rd consecutive game to open his collegiate career.
- Noel made a career-high eight free throws, going 8-for-13 from the charity stripe.
- Noel has scored in double figures 14 times and secured double-digit rebounds nine times.
- Noel has six or more rebounds in each game this season.
- Sophomore Ryan Harrow totaled 12 points and a career-high two blocks.
- Harrow did not commit a turnover for the sixth time in 2012-13.
- Freshman Archie Goodwin had his streak of 17 consecutive games in double figures snapped, charting three points and two rebounds.
- Goodwin has now connected on 103 free throw attempts, ranking ninth-best in UK freshman history and behind Sam Bowie (1979-80; 110).
- Junior Jarrod Polson drilled his first career 3-pointer in SEC play in the first half, finishing with three points, three rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Polson has now scored in six of the last seven games.
- Polson has two or more rebounds in five of the last seven games.
- Senior Julius Mays had 10 points, six rebounds and two assists.
- After hitting two 3s, Mays now has 17 3-pointers in the last six games.
- Mays has made a 3-pointer in 12 consecutive games and he has hit multiple 3-pointers in eight of the last nine games.
- Mays has scored in double figures in three consecutive games, nine times in 2012-13 and 36 times in his career.
- Sophomore Kyle Wiltjer charted 14 points, three rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Wiltjer scored in double figures for the 13th time of the year and the 18th time in his two-year career.
- Wiltjer led UK in scoring for the team-high ninth time in 2012-13.
- Freshman Willie Cauley-Stein had 12 points, four rebounds and one assist.
- Cauley-Stein has scored in double figures six times in 2012-13 and in two consecutive games.