May 21, 2014
Box Score |
2014 Kentucky Baseball
Kentucky vs. Florida
May 21, 2014 -- Hoover, Ala.
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky faced off with Florida in the SEC tournament for the first time since 2000.
- UK won back-to-back SEC tournament games for the first time since 2012.
- Kentucky has a record of 7-3 vs. teams in the top 10 and 10-8 vs. ranked opponents.
- UK improved to 20-29 all-time in the SEC tournament.
- Florida leads the all-time series 133-62-1.
- Kentucky has won three of four games in 2014, outscoring UF 40-22.
- It marks the first time UK has won at least three games vs. UF in a season since 1993.
- UK moved to 5-1 in neutral site games.
- UK is 4-0 on Wednesdays and 7-5 in May.
- Kentucky improves to 6-3 in its blue and grey uniform combination.
- UK is now 21-15 in day games.
- UK turned its 53rd double play of the year.
- UK is 29-2 when out-hitting its opponent.
- Kentucky is 23-15 when facing a right handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 24-7 when scoring first.
- UK captured its 11th save of 2014.
- Kentucky will face the winner of South Carolina and Mississippi State in the third round of the SEC tournament on Thursday, with the first pitch set for 30 minutes after the conclusion of the LSU/Arkansas game which begins at 5:30 p.m. ET.
- Sophomore right hander Kyle Cody made his fifth start of 2014.
- Cody moved to 4-0 with a 2.74 ERA on the year.
- Cody fired 5.1 innings, allowing four hits and one run while striking out four.
- Cody’s 5.1 innings mark his longest outing since February 23 vs. St. John’s.
- In Cody’s last two starts he has tossed 9.2 innings, allowing six hits and one run, while striking out five.
- Cody has not allowed more than two earned runs all season.
- Junior LHP/1B A.J. Reed made his team-leading 111th consecutive start.
- Reed has reached base safely in 52 of 56 games in 2014, including a team-high 27 straight.
- Reed hit his 16th double of the year, the 33rd of his career.
- Sophomore LF Ka’ai Tom hit the 12th double of his career.
- Tom collected his 16th two-strike hit of the season.
- Senior SS Matt Reida played in his 208th career game, starting in 194 of them.
- Junior 3B Max Kuhn belted his eight home run of the season, the 13th of his career.
- Kuhn has reached base safely in 101 of his 109 career starts, including 13 straight.
- Kuhn had multiple RBI for the 15th time this season.
- Junior CF Austin Cousino has produced a hit in seven straight games.
- Cousino has reached base safely in 157 of 173 career games.
- Cousino was hit by a pitch for the 47th time of his career, extending the school record.
- Cousino stole his team-leading 16th base, giving him 45 for his career.
- Senior catcher Micheal Thomas hit his 10th double of 2014, the 16th of his career.
- Thomas notched his 17th multi-hit game of the season.
- Thomas has inked a hit in three straight games.
- Thomas caught a runner stealing for the 13th time this year.
- Freshman RF Storm Wilson has reached base safely in 18 straight games.
- Wilson stole the third base of his career.
- Wilson has plated a hit in 14 of his last 15 games.
- Wilson inked his ninth two-out hit of 2014.
- Junior 1B Thomas Bernal hit his third sacrifice fly of 2014.
- Freshman JaVon Shelby has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
- Junior right hander Chandler Shepherd made his fifth appearance in relief this year.
- Shepherd inherited his eighth and ninth runners of the season.
- Shepherd has tossed 9.1 innings of shutout ball in his last three outings, allowing only three hits.
- Shepherd collected his first save of 2014, the second of his career.