Kentucky-Murray State Postgame Notes
Murray State 4, Kentucky 3 (12)
May 14, 2014
Team Records and Notes
- With the loss, Kentucky drops to 30-21, while Murray State improves to 21-28.
- Kentucky leads the all-time series 14-7.
- Kentucky played with a three-man umpiring crew for the first time since February 23 vs. St. John’s.
- Kentucky falls to 1-3 in extra-inning games and 3-4 in one-run games.
- UK has a record of 2-4 when the game is decided in the last at bat.
- Kentucky moves to 18-6 in non-conference games.
- Kentucky was hit by its 93rd pitch of the season, tying the single-season school record.
- UK is 5-3 on Tuesdays and 3-4 in May.
- UK is now 11-7 in night games.
- Kentucky moves to 20-15 when facing a right handed starting pitcher.
- UK is 21-12 when hitting at least one home run.
- Kentucky is now 10-14 in games where its opponent scores first.
- Kentucky will open its series with Georgia in Athens on Thursday, May 15 with the first pitch slated for 7 p.m. ET.
- Freshman right hander Zack Brown made the second start of his career.
- Senior SS Matt Reida played in his 203rd career game, tying him for ninth in UK history with Mike Botkin.
- Reida has started 188 games in his career, the ninth-most in UK history.
- Reida has reached base safely in 11 straight games.
- Reida wore his sixth hit by pitch of the season.
- Junior LHP/1B A.J. Reed made his team-leading 107th consecutive start.
- Reed has reached base safely in 47 of 51 games in 2014 including 22 straight.
- Reed has collected a walk in eight consecutive games.
- Reed’s 41 walks in 2014 marks the most in a season since Colin Cowgill had 49 in 2008.
- Reed was walked multiple times for the 11th time this season.
- Junior CF Austin Cousino was hit by a pitch for the 45th time of his career, the 11th of 2014.
- Sophomore catcher Greg Fettes made his first start since March 15 at Alabama.
- Fettes started behind the plate for the first time since February 16 vs. VMI.
- Senior Micheal Thomas snapped his streak of 25 consecutive games as the starting catcher.
- Thomas laid down his second sacrifice bunt of 2014.
- Junior 3B Max Kuhn hit his sixth homer of 2014, the 11th of his career.
- Kuhn has reached base safely in 96 of his 104 career starts.
- Kuhn wore his seventh hit by pitch of 2014, the 10th of his career.
- Kuhn collected his 25th two-out hit and 23rd two-out RBI.
- Kuhn has inked a hit in four straight games.
- Freshman RF Storm Wilson extended his hitting streak to a team-high 11 games.
- Wilson has reached base safely in 13 straight games.
- Wilson stole the second base of his career.
- Sophomore LF Ka’ai Tom extended his hitting streak to nine games.
- Junior 1B Thomas Bernal has reached base safely in seven consecutive games.
- Bernal was hit by a pitch for the 13th time this season, the 16th of his career.
- Bernal laid down his third sacrifice bunt of the year, the sixth of his career.
- Freshman JaVon Shelby has reached base safely in eight consecutive games.
- Shelby has inked a hit in four straight games.
- Shelby collected multiple walks for the fourth time of his career.
- Sophomore southpaw Sam Mahar made his 11th appearance of the season.
- Mahar inherited three runners, not allowing a score.
- Mahar has inherited a total of 10 batters this season.
- Junior reliever Andrew Nelson made his 15th appearance this season.
- Nelson struck out two batters in 2.0 innings of work.
- Junior Chandler Shepherd made his third relief appearance of the season.
- Shepherd inherited his fifth runner of 2014.
- Shepherd struck out six batters and allowed one hit in 3.1 innings pitched.
- Junior Spencer Jack made his team-leading 24th appearance of 2014.
- Jack struck out three and did not allow a hit in 2.0 innings pitched.
- Freshman left hander Logan Salow made his 20th career appearance.
- Sophomore Zach Strecker made his 15th appearance of the year.