March 22, 2014
Box Score |
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK vs. South Carolina
March 22, 2014 -- Lexington, Ky.
Cliff Hagan Stadium
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky improves to 17-6, 3-2 SEC while South Carolina falls to 18-3, 2-3 SEC.
- South Carolina leads the all-time series, 44-34. UK leads 22-14 in Lexington.
- UK has won seven consecutive games vs. South Carolina in Lexington.
- Kentucky has pitched 97 straight innings without allowing a steal.
- UK is 7-0 in its blue and white uniform combination.
- Kentucky moves to 11-1 at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- UK holds a record of 15-5 in day games.
- UK moves to 5-2 vs. left-handed starting pitchers.
- Kentucky is 3-1 vs. teams ranked in the top 25.
- UK improves to 7-1 on Saturdays.
- Kentucky holds a record of 10-4 in the month of March.
- Kentucky's bullpen has not allowed a steal in 71.0 consecutive innings.
- UK moves to 12-3 when scoring first.
- Kentucky recorded its first save of the season.
- UK has 82 2-out RBI this season.
- UK owns a 156-7 all-time record in the Gary Henderson era when staked to an eighth-inning lead.
- With the win, Kentucky gets it first series victory over a top ranked opponent since beating LSU in 2012.
- Kentucky has 46 wins in the Henderson era vs. ranked foes.
- Kentucky is 3-0 vs. No. 1 ranked teams in 2014.
- UK is 6-6 in the Henderson era vs. No. 1 ranked teams.
- Kentucky has not swept a series with a top ranked opponent since its sweep against LSU in 1991.
- UK concludes its series with South Carolina Sunday, March 23 with the first pitch set for 1 p.m. ET at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Junior righty Chandler Shepherd made his sixth start of the season.
- Shepherd captured his first career pick off.
- Shepherd completed his fourth consecutive quality start, the fifth of his career.
- Shepherd tossed 7.1 innings striking out six batters.
- In Shepherd's four straight quality start, he has a 4-0 record and a 0.90 ERA in 30 innings.
- Junior A.J. Reed snapped his streak of 23 games reaching base safely.
- Junior centerfielder Austin Cousino made his team-leading 134th straight start.
- Cousino snapped his career-long 17 game hitting streak.
- Junior Max Kuhn has reached base safely in 23 straight games.
- Kuhn has reached base safely in 71 of 77 career games.
- Kuhn hit his second game winning RBI of the season, the eighth of his career.
- Kuhn collected his 13th two-out hit of the season.
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida made his 161st career start, passing Mike Harris (1989-91) for 12th place in UK career history.
- Reida drew a walk for the ninth time this year.
- Sophomore Kyle Barrett has collected a hit in 21 of 22 games this season.
- Barrett stole his 10th base of the season, the 14th of his career.
- Barrett gathered his ninth two-strike hit on the year.
- Freshman JaVon Shelby has got a hit in three straight games.
- Shelby has reached base safely in four consecutive games.
- Senior Micheal Thomas hit his fifth home run of the season, the ninth of his career.
- Thomas has homered in back to back games, marking the second time this season.
- Thomas extended his hitting streak to five games.
- Thomas collected his ninth multi-hit game of the season, the 15th of his career.
- Thomas committed his first errors in 58 consecutive games, dating back to last season.
- Sophomore Ka'ai Tom reached base safely for the 17th consecutive game.
- Sophomore Kyle Cody made his first appearance since March 1.
- Cody inherited the first two runners of his career.
- Freshman left-hander Logan Salow earned his first career save.