March 21, 2014
Box Score | Photo Gallery
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK vs. Western Kentucky
March 18, 2014 -- Lexington, Ky.
Cliff Hagan Stadium
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky improves to 16-6, 2-2 SEC while South Carolina falls to 18-2, 2-2 SEC.
- South Carolina leads the all-time series, 44-33. UK leads 21-14 in Lexington.
- Entering the series, South Carolina had a nation leading ERA, while Kentucky ranked first in run scored.
- Kentucky has pitched 88 straight innings without allowing a steal.
- UK is 4-1 in its all-white uniform combination.
- Kentucky moves to 10-1 at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- UK holds a record of 2-1 in night games.
- UK moves to 4-2 vs. left handed starting pitchers.
- Kentucky is 2-1 vs. teams ranked in the top 25.
- UK has outscored opponents 22-5 in the first inning.
- UK improves to 4-2 on Fridays.
- South Carolina’s bullpen allowed a run for the first time in 62 innings.
- Heading into the game South Carolina had only allowed four steals. Kentucky stole five bases.
- Kentucky holds a record of 9-4 in the month of March.
- Kentucky’s bullpen has not allowed a steal in 69.1 consecutive innings.
- UK moves to 4-3 when the opponent scores first.
- Kentucky turned its 21st and 22nd double plays of the season.
- UK has 81 2-out RBI this season after having 83 two-out RBI in 55 games in 2013.
- UK has recorded nine games with double-digit runs and 14 games with double-digit hits this season.
- UK owns a 155-7 all-time record in the Gary Henderson era when staked to an eighth-inning lead.
- Kentucky moves to 9-2 when stealing multiple bases.
- Kentucky has 45 wins in the Henderson era vs. ranked foes.
- Kentucky is 2-0 vs. No. 1 ranked teams in 2014.
- UK is 5-6 in the Henderson era vs. No. 1 ranked teams.
- UK continues its series with South Carolina Saturday, March 22 with the first pitch set for 2 p.m. ET at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
- Junior lefty A.J. Reed made his sixth start of 2014, his 16th consecutive weekend series-opening start and the 25th start of his career.
- Reed has reached base safely in 23 straight games.
- Reed extended his hitting streak to four games.
- Reed had multiple hits for the ninth time this season, the 43rd time of his career.
- Reed allowed a run in the first inning for the first time this season.
- Reed was hit by a pitch for seventh time this year.
- Junior centerfielder Austin Cousino made his team-leading 133rd straight start.
- Cousino has reached base safely in 128 of 139 career games.
- Cousino extended his hitting streak to a career high 17 games.
- Cousino has reached base safely in all 22 games this season.
- Cousino stole the 39th and 40th bases of his career.
- Cousino stole multiple bases for the fifth time in his career, the second time this season.
- Cousino was hit by a pitch for the sixth time this year, the 40th time of his career.
- Junior Max Kuhn has reached base safely in 22 straight games.
- Kuhn has reached base safely in 70 of 76 career games.
- Kuhn was walked for the 20th time this year.
- Kuhn collected his 12th two-out hit of the season.
- Kuhn had multiple hits for tenth time this season.
- Senior shortstop Matt Reida made his 160th career start, equaling him with Mike Harris (1989-91) for 12th place in UK career history.
- Reida had multiple RBI for the fourth time this season.
- Reida had multiple hits for the 23rd time of his career, the second time this season.
- Sophomore Kyle Barrett hit his fifth double of the season.
- Barrett gathered his eighth two-strike hit on the year.
- Barrett has collected a hit in 20 of 21 games this season.
- Junior Thomas Bernal extended his hitting streak to three games.
- Bernal equaled a career high with three hits.
- Bernal collected his third multi-hit game of the season.
- Bernal stole his fourth base of the season, the sixth of his career.
- Freshman JaVon Shelby hit his second career home run.
- Kentucky is 2-0 when Shelby homers.
- Shelby stole his fourth base of the season.
- Senior Micheal Thomas hit his fourth home run of the season, the eighth of his career.
- Thomas extended his hitting streak to four games.
- Thomas collected his 12th career multi-RBI game, the sixth of the season.
- Thomas was hit by a pitch for the 23rd time in his career, the fifth time this season.
- Sophomore Ka’ai Tom reached base safely for the 16th consecutive game.
- Tom stole the seventh base of his career.
- Freshman righty Zack Brown recorded his first career SEC strikeout.