Feb. 16, 2014
Recap | Box Score
2014 Kentucky Baseball
UK vs. VMI
Feb. 16, 2014 - Wilmington, N.C.
Team Records and Notes
- Kentucky drops to 2-1, while VMI improves to 1-2.
- VMI won the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
- Kentucky suffered its first walk-off loss of the year and its first since an 11-inning walk-off loss at No. 14 South Carolina on April 20, 2012.
- UK will return to action on Monday, traveling to Wilmington to Spartanburg, S.C., for a matchup with USC Upstate at 1 p.m. ET. UK and USC Upstate have both yet to declare a projected starting pitcher. Fans can hear the game live on the UK IMG Radio Network, with Dick Gabriel voicing the action.
- Freshman leftfielder Marcus Carson made his first career start.
- The first pitch of Carson’s career was hit for a double in the second inning.
- Carson was hit by his first career pitch in the third.
- Carson stole his first career base.
- Freshman JaVon Shelby, who started in leftfield for the season opener, made his first career start at second base.
- It has been a span of 402 games since UK started a Shelby at second base. JaVon’s brother John was an All-SEC second baseman on UK’s 2006 SEC Championship team.
- Sophomore right-hander Kyle Cody made his 11th career start.
- Sophomore catcher Greg Fettes made his first start of the year.
- Fettes stole his first career base.
- Junior centerfielder Austin Cousino has now reached base safely in 109 of his 120 career games.
- Cousino hit his 16th career home run on a 3-1 pitch in the second inning.
- Cousino now has 45 career multiple-hit games.
- Junior A.J. Reed was hit by his 13th career pitch.
- Junior third baseman Max Kuhn launched his third double of the year and the 12th of his career.
- Sophomore rightfielder Kyle Barrett has now reached base safely in a team-high 22 consecutive games.
- Junior righty Andrew Nelson made his first career appearance.
- Sophomore Taylor Martin made his first appearance since 2012 after missing 2013 due to injury.
- Sophomore Matt Snyder made his first career appearance.
- Senior Micheal Thomas notched his fourth career pinch-hit.