Wildcats Suffer First Loss at No. 1 Virginia
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Kentucky Wildcats men’s tennis team faced its first setback of the 2016 season on Sunday afternoon, falling to the reigning NCAA champion Virginia Cavaliers, 6-1, at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
The Wildcats lone victory came at the top singles court, where sophomore William Bushamuka defeated the reigning NCAA singles champion Ryan Shane in straight sets, 7-6, 6-3. By defeating Shane, ranked eleventh in the country, Bushamuka now has two top-15 wins this season. The win over Shane marks the sophomore’s highest ranked win, topping his win over No. 12 Nicholas Alvarez of Duke earlier this season. Bushamuka is now 5-0 in singles matches this season.
"Doubles was unacceptable,” said fifth year head coach Cedric Kauffmann. “Our intensity out of the gate by our upperclassmen was just bad. Our two freshman on the second court competed the best.
“The start of singles was much better. Overall, we didn't play like we can, but we put ourselves in a position to get ahead. We just couldn’t convert. We have a lot to work on. Back to work on Tuesday.
“What a win by William, Kauffman concluded. “Beating the defending NCAA champion on the road is a big deal. He is growing each week.”
"Again, I was really proud of William today on Court No. 1, taking out the defending NCAA champion,” commented assistant coach Matt Emery. “He just played a solid match from start to finish and was the better player today.
"Ryotaro [Matsumura] played a great match against one of the best players in the country at No. 2. He was literally within inches of that match going the other way. He continues to improve each match and is consistently proving why he is one of the premier freshmen in the country.
"You have things to learn from every match, and this team loves to learn. I can't wait to get back to work this week with these guys and get better."
With the loss, Kentucky is now 4-1 on the season. Virginia moves to 1-0 after defeating the Wildcats in their season debut.
The Wildcats next match will be held on Saturday, Feb. 6 in the Boone Tennis Center, where Kentucky will host a double-header against Murray State and Dayton. Kentucky will begin at 1 p.m. against Murray State before a 5 p.m. showdown with Dayton.
1. #79 William Bushamuka (UK) def. #11 Ryan Shane (UVA) 7-6, 6-3
2. #2 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVA) def. Ryotaro Matsumura (UK) 7-6, 6-1
3. Collin Altamirano (UVA) def. #117 Nils Ellefsen (UK) 7-5, 6-4
4. Mac Styslinger (UVA) def. Trey Yates (UK) 6-2, 6-4
5. #74 J.C. Aragone (UVA) def. Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-3, 6-4
6. #90 Henrik Wiersholm (UVA) def. Gus Benson 6-4, 6-2
1. #15 Ryan Shane/Luca Corinteli (UVA) def. Nils Ellefsen/Kevin Lai (UK) 6-2
2. #5 Mac Styslinger/Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVA) vs. Ryotaro Matsumura/Enzo Wallart (UK) 3-4 DNF
3. Colin Altamirano/J.C. Aragone (UVA) def. William Bushamuka/Charles Minc (UK) 6-2
For more information on the Kentucky men’s tennis team, follow @UKMensTennis on Twitter or Kentucky Men’s Tennis Team on Facebook.