UK Soccer Left to Rue Misses in Loss at Furman

Box Score

GREENVILLE, S.C. –  The Kentucky men’s soccer team could only lament its missed chances when the full-time whistle went in its first defeat of the young season, 1-0, at Furman Saturday. 

Furman scored on 35 minutes, and held on from there against a Kentucky side that allowed just its second goal this season -- now through five matches. 

The Wildcats had the better of the chances through the first half hour of the game, forcing some quality saves and missing the frame on other clear-cut chances. 

The Wildcats outshot Furman 17-7, putting five on frame compared with Furman’s three, but it was the hosts who were able to find the back of the net and see out the result.

Kentucky fell to a 2016 record of Won 3 Lost 1 Drew 1. Furman improved to 3-1-1. 

The goal
Furman broke the deadlock 10 minutes before halftime. Marco Carrizales served a right-footed in-swinger inside the six-yard box, and forward Lewis Hawke beat his marker to head past the UK keeper inside the near post. 

The quote
“It’s a tough one,” Kentucky head coach Johan Cedergren said. “It’s a really disappointing result, but at the same time I’m pretty pleased with the performance. I thought we played some good soccer at times. I thought we defended well and it’s just one where we had six, eight good chances and we just have to tuck one away. 

“I think we had at least three before they scored in the first half. Score on one of those and maybe it’s a different game, but you have to give them a lot of credit. They battled really hard, they were organized. Great set piece to score on and then they hung on for the rest of the game.”

UK chances gone begging
Kentucky had the better run of play through the opening act, forcing Furman keeper Jonathan Smith into two good stops just after the half-hour-mark. First Connor Probert got free along the right rifling a right-footed shot from a tight angle that could only be parried out for a corner kick.

On the ensuing set piece Jordan Wilson sprung free on the six, but Smith stopped the header from point blank range. That missed chance was especially tough for UK to swallow just moments later when Furman broke through.

The Wildcats also had good buildup play along the edge of the box in the first few minutes of the game, but multiple times they couldn’t hit the target.

Kentucky did find the back of the net in the match’s dying moments on a nice give and go between Napo Matsoso and McKelvey, but the latter player was deemed offside just before slotting home at the far post.

The notes
The series is now tied at 1-1-1.

The Furman goal was the second the Wildcats have conceded this year. Kentucky was held scoreless in a match for the first time this season.

The Wildcats have still yet to concede from the run of play.

The setup
Kentucky entered with a record of Won 3 Lost 0 Drew 1 on the season. Furman was 2-1-1 this year.

Kentucky head coach Johan Cedergren named an unchanged side from the starting 11 that had scored seven, and conceded one goal in four matches this season. 

The two sides returned plenty of major-part players from the two squads the played to a contentious 0-0 draw at The Bell in 2014.

With Kentucky riding high ranked No. 16 in the coaches poll and coming off a 1-0 win over in-state rival Louisville at midweek a finely poised road test was anticipated.

The next one 
The Wildcats will begin the conference portion of the schedule next weekend at Florida International.

The best coverage of UK men's soccer is available via UKMensSoccer handles on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.