UK, Rupp Arena Announce Event Operation Changes
LEXINGTON, Ky. – To provide a safer environment for the public and serve as an enhancement to security, UK Athletics and Rupp Arena will implement a new policy limiting the size bag that may be brought inside Rupp Arena during Kentucky men’s and women’s basketball games, as well as requiring all fans to walk through metal detectors upon entry into the venue.
These changes will be in effect for all future events at Rupp Arena, beginning Oct. 14 with Big Blue Madness.
The bag policy will require that bags do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12”. An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at a gate designated for this purpose.
In addition to the bag policy for UK men’s and women’s basketball games, Rupp Arena will be using walkthrough metal detectors for events at the venue.
Both changes will apply at all general public, student and premium entrances. Please watch the following video for more information.
Doors will continue to open at Rupp Arena 90 minutes prior to tipoff. Under the new event-day policies, fans are highly encouraged to arrive early to games. UK Athletics and Rupp Arena are also encouraging patrons to travel light for quicker entry. Express lanes for guests with no bags will be provided to assist in expediting the security process.
Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to backpacks or any bag larger than the permissible size. In addition, Rupp Arena security will not permit the following items inside the area:
- All illegal substances (tobacco products and electronic cigarettes are permitted in the designated smoking area outside of the arena)
- Artificial noisemakers, irritants and laser pointers
- Beach balls
- Cameras with detachable lenses
- Glass, aluminum containers, ice chests and flasks
- Outside food and beverages, including alcoholic beverages
- Poles, extensions or selfie sticks
- Signs larger than 24 inches by 24 inches
- Unmanned aircrafts
- Video or audio recorders
The following items are welcome inside Rupp Arena:
- Cameras – no detachable lenses
- Service animals –as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Personal chairbacks – maximum width 18 inches and cannot have any hard plastic or metal parts or attach to the bleachers in any way
- Strollers – small collapsible style
UK Athletics and Rupp Arena are committed to creating a safe and fan-friendly environment. For more information, please visit RuppArena.com/guest-services.
For the latest on the Kentucky men's and women’s basketball teams, follow @KentuckyMBB and @KentuckyWBB on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat, and on the web at UKathletics.com.