The Dish on the Setters
Aug. 23, 2011
In the days leading up to UK's first match of 2011, UKathletics.com will provide tidbits and a breakdown of UK's players by position.
LEXINGTON, Ky. - For the second consecutive season the UK volleyball will be directed by the setting tandem of junior Christine Hartmann and sophomore Elizabeth Koberstein. Hartmann passed out more than 1,000 assists a season ago and Koberstein made an immediate impact in her appearances which included a pair of matches with 40 or more assists. Kentucky's offense goes through their hands, and both players have a competitive drive to lead the Blue and White in 2011.
"This is a very competitive team," UK coach Craig Skinner said. "We are creating a lot of competitive situations in practice, but even if we didn't do that they would fight tooth and nail for every point and every opportunity to get better."
Christine Hartmann, junior
• Posted more than 1,000 assists and averaged 9.44 dimes per set in her sophomore season
• Paced the squad with eight double-double efforts a season ago
• Notched eight matches with 40 or more assists in her career
• Hammered down a career-best seven kills against Purdue in the NCAA Tournament
Elizabeth Koberstein, sophomore
• Saw action in 10 matches, making three starts as a true freshman
• Averaged 8.23 assists per stanza
• Tallied two matches with 48 assists for her career-highs, including a win over SEC foe South Carolina
• Picked up a double-double effort in a win over Kansas State which included a career-best 11 digs and six blocks