Kentucky Wins Six Matches on Saturday
Oct. 27, 2012
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team took four of six singles matches vs. North Carolina State, before taking two of three doubles matches against Ohio State Saturday morning at the Tennessee Fall Invite in Knoxville, Tenn.
The Wildcats began the morning with singles play against NC State, taking four of six matches. In the No. 2 spot, senior Jessica Stiles handled Nicole Martinez, 6-4, 6-0. Stiles’ win marks her second of the weekend after winning Friday in three sets.
Juniors Caitlin McGraw and Khristina Blajkevitch recorded wins for the Wildcats. McGraw took down Christy Sipes, 6-1, 6-3, while Blajkevitch defeated Rachael James-Baker in a close second set, 6-2, 7-6(5). Sophomore Stephanie Fox tallied a win in three sets, defeating Chloe Smith 7-5, 3-6, 6-1.
Freshmen Nadia Ravita and Kirsten Lewis both fell in their singles contests. After taking the first set, Ravita went down in three sets to Joelle Kissell, 4-6, 6-4, 6-0. Lewis was defeated by Elisha Hande 6-1, 6-2.
Following singles play with NC State, Kentucky took on Ohio State in doubles play, taking two of the three contests.
Freshmen Ravita and Lewis teamed up for another successful day, taking their second doubles win of the weekend and seventh during the fall. The duo defeated Kelsey Becker and Nicole Flower 8-4.
McGraw and Stiles teamed up to take on Kara Cecil and Kelsey Dieters. The tandem won 8-4 to record the team’s second win of the day. Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff and Blajkevitch fell 8-5 in doubles to Fidan Manashirova and Gabby Steele.
The Wildcats will wrap up play at the Tennessee Fall Invite Sunday afternoon, taking on NC State in doubles action at 1 p.m., before facing Tennessee in singles play at 2 p.m.
Draws are not determined until the beginning of each day, with the coaches setting the lineups daily. The tournament winner will be determined by a points system, based on singles and doubles play wins.
Tennessee will host a live blog on utsports.com to announce lineups and match results throughout the day. Results will also be available on Twitter @voltennis_event.
For more information regarding the University of Kentucky women’s tennis team, please go to UKathletics.com.
Tennessee Fall Invite
Oct. 26-28, 2012
Saturday Doubles vs. Ohio State
1. Caitlin McGraw/Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 8-2
2. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Blajkevitch/Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 8-5
3. Nadia Ravita/Kirsten Lewis (UK) def. Kelsey Becker/Nicole Flower (OSU) 8-4
Friday Doubles vs. Tennessee:
1. Boren/Szekely (Tennessee) def. McGraw/Stiles (UK) 8-3
2. Henderson/Williams (Tennessee) def. Blajkevitch/Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 8-1
3. Ravita/Lewis (UK) def. Toti/Fotopoulos (Tennessee) 8-4
Saturday Singles vs. NC State
1. #19 Joelle Kissell (NC State) def. Nadia Ravita (UK) 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
2. Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Nicole Martinez (NC State) 6-4, 6-0
3. Elisha Hande (NC State) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 6-1, 6-2
4. Caitlin McGraw (UK) def. Christy Sipes (NC State) 6-1, 6-3
5. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Rachael James-Baker (NC State) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
6. Stephanie Fox (UK) def. Chloe Smith (NC State) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
Friday Singles vs. Ohio State:
1. Nadia Ravita (UK) def. Kelsey Dieters (Ohio State) 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
2. Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Kara Cecil (Ohio State) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Fidan Manashirova (Ohio State) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 2-6, 7-6, 6-1
4. Gabby Steele (Ohio State) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Nicole Flower (Ohio State) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Noelle Malley (Ohio State) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3