Lilley and Broderick Claim Victories in Athens
April 12, 2009
ATHENS, Ga. - Freshman Caroline Lilley and sophomore Megan Broderick each claimed victories while facing the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs (19-2, 9-1 SEC) Sunday afternoon. Lilley broke her opponent's impeccable winning streak while Broderick stole the third-set tie-break the second court for the two Wildcat wins of the day. The top-ranked Dawgs defeated No. 23 Kentucky 5-2 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
Lilley, of Portland, Ore., broke Naoko Ueshima's 19-match win streak with her court five triumph. Ueshima hadn't lost a match during the regular season and was last defeated Nov. 8, 2008 during the fall tournament schedule. In a consolation match at the SEC Fall Coaches Classic, Kentucky's own Broderick handed Ueshima the 6-3, 6-2 loss.
Broderick also put up an incredible fight on court two against No. 34 Yvette Hyndman. After dropping the first set 6-4, Broderick battled in the second set to win 7-6(5). As all other courts were finished, the third set went into a 10-point tie-break. Hyndman had a solid lead at 7-3, but the Wildcat rallied back within two at 8-6. Broderick went on to upset the top-50 player as she overtook the lead, winning the next four games, to win 1-0(8) in the third and final set of the day.
UGA took wins on courts one, three, four and six, adding to their point from doubles which they secured earlier in the afternoon. The win over the Cats clinched the Bulldogs' eighth SEC Championship title.
Kentucky finishes up the season Saturday, April 18 as they return to Lexington one more time to host No. 17 Vanderbilt. The SEC Tournament will be held the following week, April 23-26, in Fayetteville, Ark.
#2 Georgia 5, #23 Kentucky 2
1. #37 Gilchrist/Gullickson (UGA) def. #40 Escamilla/Lilley (UK), 8-2
2. Dancevic/Hyndman (UGA) def. Broderick/Johnston (UK), 8-4
3. Ellis/Ueshima (UGA) def. Meier/Spencer (UK), 8-5
1. #9 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Carolina Escamilla (UK), 6-0, 6-0
2. Megan Broderick (UK) def. #34 Yvette Hyndman (UGA), 4-6, 7-6(5), 1-0(8)
3. #40 Nadja Cilchrist (UGA) def. Christine Johnston (UK), 6-3, 6-1
4. #81 Monika Dancevic (UGA) def. Lauren Meier (UK), 6-2, 6-2
5. Caroline Lilley (UK) def. Naoko Ueshima (UGA), 6-2, 6-3
6. Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Minnette Pienaar (UK), 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2, 3 Singles: 1, 6, 4*, 3, 5, 2