UK Suffers Defeat at Tennessee
April 10, 2009
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The No. 23 Kentucky women's tennis team (12-7 overall, 3-6 Southeastern Conference) were toppled by the No. 13 Tennessee Lady Vols (14-4, 7-2 SEC) at the UT Varsity Tennis Courts Friday afternoon. UT outperformed the Cats to take a 7-0 victory.
The 40th-ranked duo of Carolina Escamilla and Caroline Lilley gave Tennessee's No. 39 pair a run for their money. Caitlin Whoriskey and Natalie Pluskota grabbed a difficult win over the Wildcats, 9-7 to clinch the UT doubles point. UK's Whitney Spencer and Lauren Meier suffered their first defeat of the season against a conference team, falling 8-6 to Jennifer Meredith and Maria Sorbello.
The Volunteers proved to be too much for the Blue and White has UT took all six singles courts. Only one match went into three sets as Spencer won the second set on court five against Rosalia Alda. Alda won the third set tie-break for the win, 7-6, 3-6, 1-0.
Kentucky's Lauren Meier challenged the Lady Vols' Jennifer Meredith on court four as Meredith raced to clinch the match. In the end, Meier fell to Meredith, 6-3, 7-5.
On Sunday the Blue and White head to Athens, Ga., to take on the No. 2 Georgia Bulldogs (17-2, 7-1 SEC) at 1 p.m ET in the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
Kentucky will return to Lexington Saturday, April 18 to host No. 17 Vanderbilt to close out the regular season. The SEC Tournament will be held the following week, April 23-26, in Fayetteville, Ark.
For the most up to date information and coverage of the Wildcat women's tennis team visit, www.ukathletics.com.
#13 Tennessee 7, #23 Kentucky 0
1. No. 32 Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) def. Carolina Escamilla (UK) - 6-4, 6-1
2. Natalie Pluskota (UT) def. Megan Broderick (UK) - 6-4, 6-3
3. Samantha Orlin (UT) def. Christine Johnston (UK) - 6-3, 6-4
4. Jennifer Meredith (UT) def. Lauren Meier (UK) - 6-3, 7-5
5. Rosalía Alda (UT) def. Whitney Spencer (UK) - 7-6 (5), 3-6, 1-0 (3)
6. Maria Sorbello (UT) def. Caroline Lilley (UK) - 6-2, 6-1
1. No. 39 Whoriskey/Pluskota (UT) def. No. 40 Escamilla/ Lilley (UK) - 9-7
2. Alda/Zubor (UT) def. Broderick/ Johnston (UK) - 8-5
3. Sorbello/ Meredith (UT) def. Spencer/ Meier (UK) - 8-6
Order of Finish
Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,4*,2,3,5)