Sutjiadi, Lewis Notch Wins in No. 28 Kentucky's Loss to No. 8 Vanderbilt
April 5, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The No. 28 University of Kentucky women’s tennis team fell on the road to eighth-ranked Vanderbilt, 4-2, Saturday afternoon in Nashville, Tenn. at the Brownlee O. Currey Jr., Tennis Center. Freshman Aldila Sutjiadi and sophomore Kirsten Lewis were the only Wildcats to get points on the board for Kentucky.
After dropping the first doubles match to Vanderbilt, Kentucky duo, Nadia Ravita and Sutjiadi, tallied a win at No. 2 doubles to tie up the doubles competition. Ravita and Sutjiadi knocked off Sydney Campbell and Ashleigh Antal, who are ranked 35th nationally, 8-3. Their victory wasn’t enough to claim the doubles point as Lewis and her partner, Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff, fell at the No. 3 doubles position.
"I am really happy with our win in doubles," Sutjiadi said. "It was a good and tough for match me especially because I wasn't happy with my performance last week so I worked hard this week to get better and it paid off."
Facing a 1-0 deficit entering singles, Sutjiadi tied the match with a win at No. 2 singles. Winning the first set over No. 91 Georgina Sellyn, 6-2, Sellyn retired in the second set giving Sutjiadi the win. Vanderbilt claimed two back-to-courts and led the Wildcats 3-1 before Lewis clinched her match and put Kentucky within one point of the Commodores. In tiebreak sets on both remaining courts, No. 68 Campbell edged No. 65 Ravita, 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4) to lift Vanderbilt to another conference win.
"Even though the match didn't end how we wanted, I am thankful for the experience," Lewis said. "We came so close and I think that this match will help prepare us for our matches against South Carolina and Florida."
Kentucky (15-8, 5-6 SEC) will travel to South Carolina, Friday, April 11 and Florida, Sunday, April 13 before heading to the Southeastern Conference tournament hosted by the University of Missouri in Columbia, Mo., April 16-20.
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky vs Vanderbilt
Apr 05, 2014 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
#8 Vanderbilt 4, #28 Kentucky 2
1. #68 Sydney Campbell (VU) def. #65 Nadia Ravita (UK) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. #91 Georgina Sellyn (VU) 6-2, 2-1, retired
3. #67 Frances Altick (VU) def. Kelsey Dieters (UK) 6-1, 7-5
4. #85 Marie Casares (VU) vs. E. Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 6-2, 2-6, 5-4, unfinished
5. #99 Courtney Colton (VU) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-0, 6-3
6. Kirsten Lewis (UK) def. Lauren Mira (VU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-0
1. #63 Lauren Mira/Courtney Colton (VU) def. Caitlin McGraw/CeCe Witten (UK) 8-2
2. Nadia Ravita/Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. #35 Sydney Campbell/Ashleigh Antal (VU) 8-3
3. Marie Casares/Frances Altick (VU) def. Kirsten Lewis/E. Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 8-4
Kentucky 15-8, 5-6 SEC; National ranking #28
Vanderbilt 17-4, 10-1 SEC; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5,3,6,1)