Women's Tennis Overwhelms Tigers, Wins 6-1
March 27, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Kentucky women’s tennis team got off to a great start against the visiting Auburn Tigers and picked up its second victory in Southeastern Conference play with a commanding 6-1 win at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex on Sunday afternoon.
Kentucky (4-14, 2-4 SEC) won all three doubles matches, with senior Megan Broderick and freshman Khristina Blajkevitch clinching the doubles point and grabbing their team-leading fourth victory at the No. 1 position.
Broderick won her co-team leading eighth victory in singles play with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Auburn’s Paulina Schippers at No. 1. Sophomore Jessica Stiles also picked up her co-team leading eighth victory in singles play with a 6-2, 6-4 over Auburn’s Olivia Bennett. Broderick leads Kentucky with three victories in SEC competition.
Blajkevitch, a Victoria, Canada, native, earned her freshman-leading seventh victory in singles play and clinched the match victory for the Wildcats. After dropping the first set 6-3, Blajkevitch stormed back to dominate the second set with a 6-0 victory and seal the match in the third set by a 6-3 count. Blajkevitch has won each of her past two matches in singles play.
Also earning victories for the Wildcats were freshmen Marni Venter and Cece Witten. The win was Venter’s third of the season and second in SEC play. The win was Witten’s first in conference action. Venter defeated Auburn’s Jacqueline Kasler 6-3, 7-6 (5) and Witten beat Taylor Cohen by a 6-2, 6-3 score.
Sunday’s match was Kentucky’s first home match since March 6. The Wildcats are 4-3 in matches at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex this season. Kentucky will take on No. 1 Florida at home in its next match on April 1.
For all Kentucky women’s tennis news check out UKathletics.com.
Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex
March 27, 2011
Kentucky 6, Auburn 1
- Broderick/Blajkevitch (UK) def. Schippers/Bennett (AU) 8-6
- McGraw/Venter (UK) def. Kurteva/Kasler (AU) 8-3
- Stiles/Witten (UK) def. Thornton/Cohen (AU) 8-3
- No. 112 Megan Broderick (UK) def. Paulina Schippers (AU) 6-4, 6-2
- Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Olivia Bennett (AU) 6-2, 6-4
- Caroline Thornton (AU) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 7-5, 7-5
- Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. Plamena Kurteva (AU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
- Marni Venter (UK) def. Jacqueline Kasler (AU) 6-3, 7-6 (5)
- Cece Witten (UK) def. Taylor Cohen (AU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish:
- Doubles: 3, 1*, 2
- Singles: 1, 2, 3, 4*, 6, 5