Blajkevitch Wins but Cats Fall to Alabama
March 25, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Kentucky women’s tennis team earned a victory in singles play from freshman Khristina Blajkevitch but could not top Alabama on the road in Tuscaloosa, Ala., on Friday at the Alabama Tennis Stadium, falling to the Crimson Tide by a 6-1 count.
Blajkevitch, a freshman from Victoria, Canada, picked up her sixth victory in singles play on Friday, tying her with Caitlin McGraw for the team lead among freshmen. Blajkevitch topped Alex Clay of Alabama in straight sets 6-4, 6-3. Clay entered the match as the No. 104 ranked singles player in the country.
Freshman Cece Witten lost a tight match with Alabama’s Antonia Foehse. After dropping the first set 6-2, Witten bounced back to take the second set 6-4 and force a decisive third set. The two played a 10-point super-tiebreaker to decide the match. Foehse topped Witten in the tiebreaker 10-7.
The Cats will return home to the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center on Sunday for the first time since March 6 when they took down the Mississippi State Bulldogs 6-1.
The Wildcats (3-14, 1-4 Southeastern Conference) will return home to face Auburn at noon on Sunday. The Tigers (4-12, 0-5 SEC) enter Sunday’s match coming off a 7-0 loss to No. 14 Vanderbilt. Kentucky is 20-8 all-time against Auburn but has lost its last two to the Tigers.
Senior Megan Broderick and sophomore Jessica Stiles lead the Wildcats in singles play with seven victories each. Broderick and Blajkevitch, playing at the No. 1 position, lead the Cats in doubles play with three victories in dual-match play.
Live results of Sunday’s match will be available at UKathletics.com.
For a full recap of Sunday’s match and for all Kentucky women’s tennis news, go to UKathletics.com.
Alabama Tennis Stadium
March 25, 2011
No. 54 Alabama 6, Kentucky 1
- No. 12 Guarachi/McLane (UA) def. Broderick/Blajkevitch (UK) 8-3
- Clay/Lindsey (UA) def. McGraw/Venter (UK) 8-6
- No. 58 Foehse/Macfarlane (UA) def. Stiles/Witten (UK) 8-4
- No. 32 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. No. 112 Megan Broderick (UK) 6-2, 6-2
- No. 93 Alexa Guarachi (UA) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-3, 6-1
- No. 101 Courtney McLane (UA) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-1, 6-1
- Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) def. No. 104 Alex Clay (UA) 6-4, 6-3
- Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
- Meritt Emery (UA) def. Misha Testerman (UK) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 1, 3*, 2
Singles: 3, 2, 1*, 6, 5, 4