Stiles, Fox Battle in Loss to Auburn
March 23, 2012
AUBURN, Ala. – Junior Jessica Stiles and freshman Stephanie Fox showed their grit in the women’s tennis match against No. 64 Auburn. The two engaged in highly competitive singles play, both grabbing wins for the Wildcats. Their efforts could not provide Kentucky with the win though, as they dropped the, 5-2, decision to the Tigers.
At the No. 1 singles slot, Stiles faced Jen Pfeifler. The two played every point close from the start, as Stiles took the first set, 7-5. In the second set, the junior was able to pull away for the win with a final score of, 7-5, 6-3.
Fox found herself in an even tighter battle as she took on Jackie Kasler at the No. 4 singles position. Kasler grabbed the first set, 5-7, but Fox refused to back down. The competition escalated as the second set reached, 7-6 and required a tiebreaker. Fox won the tiebreaker, 8-6, to push the match into a third set. Instead of playing an entire third set, the match was decided by one more tiebreaker. The two continued their trend of tight play but Fox was able to edge out Kasler, 12-10. With her win, she grabbed the second point for the Wildcats.
In doubles play, the Wildcats were unable to grab the doubles point but sophomores Marni Venter and Cece Witten provided a noteworthy performance. The pair faced Taylor Schreimann and Plamena Kurteva and dominated the match, 8-1.
Although the Wildcats collectively fought hard, the Tigers took the win, 5-2.
The Cats face a quick turnaround, as they face No. 14 Alabama at home on Sunday. The match is set for noon ET at the Hilary J. Boon Varsity Tennis Complex.
No. 64 Auburn 5, Kentucky 2
Yarbrough Tennis Center
1. Emily Flickinger/Jackie Kasler (AU) def. Jessica Stiles/Khristina Blajkevitc (UK) 8-3
2. Paulina Schippers/Jen Pfeifler (AU) def. Morin-Kougoucheff/Caitlin McGraw (UK) 8-6
3. Marni Venter/CeCe Witten (UK) def. Taylor Schreimann/Plamena Kurteva (AU) 8-1
1. Jessica Stiles (UK) def. Jen Pfeifler (AU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Emily Flickinger (AU) def. Khristina Blajkevitc (UK) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Plamena Kurteva (AU) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-4, 6-3
4. Stephanie Fox (UK) def. Jackie Kasler (AU) 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (12-10)
5. Paulina Schippers (AU) def. Morin-Kougoucheff (UK) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Olivia Bennett (AU) def. Marni Venter (UK) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 3, 1, 6, 2*, 5, 4
Singles: 3, 1, 2*
For more information on the UK women’s tennis team, log on to UKathletics.com.