Women's Tennis Conquers Visiting Colonels 5-2
March 23, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. -
The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team defeated the first of two opponents Monday, earning a 5-2 victory over Eastern Kentucky University. The Wildcats are currently playing East Tennessee State today at Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center.
Live statistics are available at UKathletics.com.
On the doubles court, the tandem of senior Christine Johnston (Columbus, Ohio) and junior Megan Broderick (Tampa, Fla.) extended its winning streak to a third match. The pair defeated Colonels Jessica Albuquerque and Esmira Gheisary 8-2. UK claimed the doubles point also winning on court one where Caroline Lilley (Portland, Ore.) and Minnette Pienaar (Graaf-Reinet) earned an 8-5 win over EKU’s Anouk Faure and Anais Hamel.
The Blue and White’s top four players earned wins in singles action. The first UK singles point came at No. 1 singles where Broderick defeated EKU’s Myriem Mhirit in straight sets 6-2, 6-2. Pienaar earned a win over Hamel at No. 2 singles, 6-0, 6-3. UK’s Johnston clinched the match for the Wildcats at No. 3 singles topping Faure 6-0, 6-1 to claim the fourth Wildcat point.
The final Kentucky point came from Caroline Lilley (Portland, Ore.) at No. 2 singles. The Wildcat sophomore won in straight sets over Albuquerque 6-3, 6-1.
UK’s Elle Coldiron and Nicole Scates, both of the Lexington, saw action at Nos. 5 and 6 singles, respectively, playing pro sets (first to eight games) since the match had already been decided. Coldiron played a close match, before falling 8-5 to Catarina Branco. Scates fell short to Esmira Gheisary 8-1.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for complete coverage of UK women’s tennis.
Kentucky (2-11) 5, Eastern Kentucky (7-10) 2
1. No. 123 Megan Broderick (UK) def. Myriem Mhirit (EKU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Caroline Lilley (UK) def. Jessica Albuquerque (EKU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Christine Johnston (UK) def. Anouk Faure (EKU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Minnette Pienaar (UK) def. Anais Hamel (EKU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Catarina Branco (EKU) def. Elle Coldiron (UK) 8-5
6. Esmira Gheisary (EKU) def. Nicole Scates (UK) 8-1
1. Caroline Lilley/Minette Pienaar (UK) def. No. 78 Anouk Faure/Anais Hamel (EKU) 8-5
2. Megan Broderick/Christine Johnston (UK) def. Jessica Albuquerque/Esmira Gheisary (EKU) 8-2
3. Myriem Mhirit/Catarina Branco (EKU) vs. Elle Coldiront/Nicole Scates (EKU) 8-4
Order of finish:
Doubles 2, 3, 1* Singles: 1, 4, 3*, 2, 5, 6