Escamilla Grabs Win Over Baylor
March 18, 2009
WACO, Texas - Senior Carolina Escamilla grabbed the only singles win against the No. 4 Baylor Bears (9-4 overall) Wednesday evening by defeating one of BU’s three top 50 players. The No. 17 Wildcats (9-4, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) were defeated by the Bears, 6-1 at the Baylor Tennis Center.
Escamilla defeated No. 37 Taylor Ormond in straight sets. The Medellin, Colombia, native upset Baylor’s top singles player, 6-2, 6-2 on court one. The lone senior gave the Wildcats their only point of the day as Escamilla won her first match this season over a ranked player.
The Wildcats and Bears put up a fight in doubles but with Baylor ultimately taking the point. Junior Christine Johnston and sophomore Megan Broderick fell 8-1 to BU’s No. 72 Jelena Stanivuk and Ormond on court two. Kentucky’s Lauren Meier and Whitney Spencer came close to splitting the courts, but were outperformed by Nina Secerbegovic and Kasia Siwosz, 8-6.
UK’s top duo of No. 29 Escamilla and Caroline Lilley suffered defeat on court one in an even closer match with No. 18 pair Csilla Borsanyi and Lenka Broosova, 8-7(4).
Three of Baylor’s singles are ranked in the top 40 with one other ranked in the top 100. Kentucky was only able to trump one of the top players. Johnston, Meier and Spencer each faced a ranked player but were unable to find victory. UK’s only ranked singles player is sophomore Broderick who is the nation’s No. 117 player.
The Wildcats will next face South Florida in Tampa, Fla., Saturday, March 21 at 11 a.m. ET. Live stats will be available at www.gousfbulls.com.
No. 17 Kentucky 1, No. 4 Baylor 6
1. Carolina Escamilla (UK) def. #37 Taylor Ormond (BU), 6-2, 6-2
2. #35 Lenka Broosova (BU) def. Christine Johnston (UK), 6-3, 6-1
3. #39 Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Lauren Meier (UK), 6-2, 6-2
4. #66 Csilla Borsanyi (BU) def. Whitney Spencer (UK), 6-1, 6-2
5. Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Caroline Lilley (UK), 6-2, 6-3
6. Kasia Siwosz (BU) def. Minnette Pienaar (UK), 6-1, 6-3
1. #18 Lenka Broosova/Csilla Borsanyi (BU) def. #29 Caroline Lilley/Carolina Escamilla (UK), 8-7(4)
2. #72 Jelena Stanivuk/Taylor Ormond (BU) def. Christine Johnston/Megan Broderick (UK), 8-1
3. Nina Secerbegovic/Kasia Siwosz (BU) def. Lauren Meier/Whitney Spencer (UK), 8-6
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2,3,1 Singles: 2, 5, 3*, 6, 4, 1