No. 24 Kentucky Falls to No. 38 Ole Miss
March 17, 2014
OXFORD, Miss. – The No. 24 University of Kentucky women's tennis team fell short of a win over No. 38 Ole Miss on Sunday at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center in Oxford, Miss. The Rebels defeated the Wildcats, 4-2, handing Kentucky just its fourth loss of the season.
"We experienced a great college match today," Kentucky head coach Carlos Drada said. "I am confident that today's match will prove to be valuable during the rest of conference play. We're looking forward to our next match."
The Rebels claimed the doubles point and gained an early 1-0 lead over the Wildcats. Due to injury, Kentucky forfeited at the No. 2 doubles position. Needing only one win to claim the point, Erin Stephens and Iris Verboven gave No. 56 Caitlin McGraw and Cece Witten their second consecutive loss – and just their their third all season – at No. 1 doubles. The senior pair fell 8-2.
In the singles competition, Kentucky only won two matches en route to its second loss in conference play. Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff was the first Wildcat to get on the scoreboard after Ole Miss stretched its lead to 2-0 with a win at No. 6 singles. With a win at the No. 4 singles position, Ole Miss led the Wildcats 3-1 and had match point.
Junior Kelsey Dieters kept Kentucky in it with a tiebreaker win over No. 124 Caroline Rohde-Moe. Dieters' 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 win over Rohde-Moe wasn't enough to lift Kentucky. The Rebels clinched the match behind Zalina Khairudinova's win at No. 1 singles. Khairudinova topped freshman Aldila Sutjiadi, 7-5, 7-6 (5) to give the Rebels their second Southeastern Conference win.
Kentucky falls to 14-4 (4-2 SEC) and will have a chance to regroup before hosting No. 12 Georgia in Lexington, Friday, March 21.
Tennis Match Results
Kentucky vs. Ole Miss
March 16, 2014 at Oxford, Miss.
(Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center)
#38 Ole Miss 4, #24 Kentucky 2
1. Zalina Khairudinova (OM) def. Aldila Sutjiada (UK) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Kelsey Dieters (UK) def. #124 Caroline Rohde-Moe (OM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Edmee Morin (UK) def. Julia Jones (OM) 6-2, 6-3
4. Mai El Kamash (OM) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Iris Verboven (OM) vs. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 4-6, 7-5, 0-1, unfinished
6. Erin Stephens (OM) def. Stephanie Fox (UK) 6-2, 6-1
1. Erin Stephens/Iris Verboven (OM) def. #56 CeCe Witten/Caitlin McGraw (UK) 8-2
2. Caroline Rohde-Moe/Marija Milutinovic (OM) def. Nadia Ravita/Aldila Sutjiada (UK) 1-0
3. #55 Zalina Khairudinova/Julia Jones (OM) def. Kirsten Lewis/Edmee Morin (UK) 7-3
Kentucky 14-4, 4-2; National ranking #24
Ole Miss 8-5, 2-4; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,3,4,2,1)