No. 24 Kentucky Overcomes Deficit to Defeat No. 61 Mississippi State
March 14, 2014
STARKVILLE, Miss. – Sophomore Kirsten Lewis helped the No. 24 University of Kentucky women's tennis team escape No. 61 Mississippi State, Friday, March 14 in Starkville, Miss. Kentucky overcame a 3-1 deficit to top the Bulldogs, 4-3. Kentucky moves to 14-3 (4-1 SEC) for the season.
"Our team just had a very special win and all of the credit goes to our players," Kentucky head coach Carlos Drada said. "They played with great discipline during key moments."
Off to a strong start in doubles, Kentucky led 1-0 taking the doubles point behind wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Junior Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff and Lewis got the first win of the match at the No. 3 doubles position. A decisive win over Petra Ferancova and Georgiana Patrasc, the Kentucky duo toppled the Bulldogs, 8-4. In a hard fought battle at No. 2 doubles, Nadia Ravita and Aldila Sutjiadi pulled out the win. In a tiebreak, the Jakarta, Indonesia natives defeated Roseline Dion and Timea Guibe, 8-7 (5) and gave Kentucky the early lead.
Mississippi State started off singles with three consecutive wins to lead the Wildcats, 3-1. Down, but not out, Kentucky responded with three singles wins of its own to claim the match. Sutjiadi was the first Wildcat to get on the board with a singles win. Competing at No. 2 singles, the freshman defeated senior Alexandra Perper, 6-3, 7-5. Junior Kelsey Dieters tied the match with a win at No. 3 singles. The Shelby Twp., Mich. Native knocked off Roseline Dion, 6-4, 6-3. The deciding match came down to Lewis who was in the midst of a tiebreak set at No. 5 singles. Lewis clinched the match, 6-2, 4-6, 6-1 and sent Kentucky home with its fourth conference win.
"I knew that if I competed hard and stayed calm, then I would put myself in a good position to win," Lewis said. "I am proud of my team and I'm thankful that I was able to win the match for them."
Kentucky will travel to Oxford, Miss. to take on Ole Miss. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. ET at the Palmer/Salloum Tennis Center.
No. 24 Kentucky 4, No. 61 Mississippi State 3
March 14, 2014 – A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre – Starkville, Miss.
1. Alexandra Perper/Naomi Tran (MSU) def. No. 56 Caitlin McGraw/CeCe Witten (UK), 8-5
2. Nadia Ravita/Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. Roseline Dion/Timea Guibe (MSU), 8-7(5)
3. Kristen Lewis/Edmee Morin (UK) def. Petra Ferancova/Georgiana Patrasc (MSU), 8-4
1. No. 65 Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. No. 54 Nadia Ravita (UK), 6-2, 6-4
2. Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU), 6-3, 7-5
3. Kelsey Dieters (UK) def. Roseline Dion (MSU), 6-4, 6-3
4. Timea Guibe (MSU) def. Edmee Morin (UK), 6-2, 6-2
5. Kirsten Lewis (UK) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
6. Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish