Kentucky Falls to No. 11 Georgia 6-1
March 14, 2011
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Senior Megan Broderick earned her sixth win in singles on the season by topping Chelsea Gullickson of Georgia, the 48th ranked singles player in the country, but the Kentucky women's tennis team fell to No. 11 Georgia 6-1 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga., on Sunday.
Broderick led Gullickson 5-4 before the top-50 singles player retired due to an ailment. The win is Broderick's sixth of the season, tying her with sophomore Jessica Stiles and freshman Caitlin McGraw for most on the team.
McGraw lost a heartbreaker at No. 3 singles to Lilly Kimbell. After dropping the first set 6-2, McGraw fought back to take the second set 7-6 (4) and force a decisive 10-point super tiebreaker for the third set. The Orlando, Fla., native couldn't grab the win though, losing the tiebreaker 10-6.
Georgia has won six-straight matches and is 4-0 in conference play, 8-1 overall.
Kentucky (3-10, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) will continue its six-match road swing on Wednesday when it heads to the state of Texas to face No. 9 Baylor. The Cats will play three matches in four days, facing off against TCU on Thursday and finishing with Texas Tech on Saturday.
Check out UKathletics.com for all Kentucky women's tennis news.
Dan Magill Tennis Complex
Mar 13, 2011
No. 11 Georgia 6, Kentucky 1
1) No. 25 Gullickson/Fuller (UGA) def. Broderick/Blajkevitch (UK) 8-5
2) Anghelescu/Ellis (UGA) def. McGraw/Venter (UK) 8-3
3) Kowase/Kimbell (UGA) def. Stiles/Testerman (UK) 8-1
1) Megan Broderick (UK) def. No. 48 Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) 5-4, retired
2) Alex Anghelescu (UGA) def. Jessica Stiles (UK) 6-2, 6-4
3) Lilly Kimbell (UGA) def. Caitlin McGraw (UK) 6-2, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (10-6)
4) No. 90 Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Khristina Blajkevitch (UK) 6-1, 6-1
5) Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Marni Venter (UK) 6-1, 6-2
6) Alina Jerjomina (UGA) def. Cece Witten (UK) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish:
Doubles: 3, 2*,1
Singles: 1, 4, 5, 6*, 2, 3