Women's Tennis Falls to No. 12 Tennessee
March 14, 2010
LEXINGTON, Ky. -
The University of Kentucky women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 home decision to No. 12 Tennessee on Sunday at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex.
The Wildcats No. 2 doubles duo of senior Christine Johnston and junior Megan Broderick survived doubles action undefeated on the weekend. The tandem defeated Tennessee's 33rd-ranked duo of Rosalía Alda and Zsofia Zubor 8-6. The teams traded breaks to open the match, and each side then seemingly held serve until the Wildcats earned a break point at 5-3. Broderick/Johnston charged on to again break the opposition serve at 7-5 and finally at 8-6.
The duo defeated Georgia's Yvette Hyndam and Cameron Ellis 8-6 at No. 2 doubles on Friday.
The Wildcats suffered two three-set heartbreaking losses on a day Tennessee (9-5, 3-1 SEC) reigned in singles action. Kentucky's No. 2 player Caroline Lilley squared off against No. 47 Maria Sorbello and even the match at a set apiece before falling to No. 47 Maria Sorbello 6-0, 4-6, 6-4.
On the third court, Johnston was looking to defeat Alda for the second time on the afternoon. Johnston scratched her way back after losing the first set to pull even at a set apiece before losing 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.
The Blue and White take a week off before hosting a pair of matches on March 23. The Wildcats will host the Colonels of the Eastern Kentucky University at 11:00 a.m. ET before welcoming the Buccaneers of East Tennessee State at 5:00 p.m. ET.
Stay tuned to UKathletics.com for complete coverage of UK women's tennis.
No. 12 University of Tennessee (9-5, 3-1 SEC), Kentucky (1-11, 0-4 SEC)
1. No. 10 Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) def. Megan Broderick (UK) 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 47 Maria Sorbello (UT) def. Caroline Lilley (UK) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
3. Rosalia Alda (UT) def. Christine Johnston (UK) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
4. Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. Minnette Pienaar (UK) 6-2, 6-0
5. Katie Lee (UT) def. Elle Coldiron (UK) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jennifer Meredith (UT) def. Nicole Scates (UK) 6-1, 6-0
1. Caitlin Whoriskey/Maria Sorbello (UT) def. Caroline Lilley/Minnette Pienaar (UK) 8-0
2. Christine Johnston/Megan Broderick (UK) def. No. 33 Rosalía Alda/Zsofia Zubor (UT) 8-6
3. Katie Lee/Kate Szekely (UT) def. Nicole Scates/Elle Coldiron (UK) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles: (1, 3, 2); Singles: (4, 1, 2, 6, 5, 3)